New barrel for shotgun

njc110381

I've just bought a Browning BPS pump action and it comes with a 28" barrel. The BPS is so hard to come by here that I just grabbed it, but ideally I'd like it to be 24" or 26" because I like sorter guns.

If I go out to Canada again could I get a 24" barrel for it and bring it home? They're only $250.

H.M. Customs and Excise were very helpful when I asked a similar question. You need a 'Commodities' number* for a barrel or receiver. You also pay 3.2% import duty and then 17.5% VAT.

*The numbers I was given were 930320100 and 9305210000.

The telephone numbers: 01702 366077 HM Customs.

0845 0109000 for Comm. numbers.

It's a starting point, anyway.

That's pretty worrying!

Having said that when I returned from Canada with my .375H&H I did all the paperwork and left the airport for home. I sold the gun about six months later and got a rather flustered phone call from the licensing dept saying that I'd alreay disposed of the firearm back in october (when I got back from Canada) so how could I have just sold it.

I was quite surprised at how I just told them what had gone on and they sorted it. When I first got the call I was really worried that I'd had the gun for six months when according to them I shouldn't!