Lofting pole and hooks (homemade)

Bluebarrels

Was out shooting a few pigeons the other day,got talking to a mate(turbo 33) and the subject of lofting pigeons cropped up,we both come to the conclusion it would probalbly help to have a few birds in the trees at this time of year,so i thought i would have a bash at making some hooks and pole to get the birds into the trees,nothing too high something between 20-25 ft would cover most situations on our permission,something just high enough for the birds to see from a fair distance,so i had an hour spare this afternoon and knocked up half a dozen hooks, and sorted a telescopic pole to loft the decoys and retrieve them at the end of the day..total cost £8 breakdown is

£1 for the tape

£2 for the steel rods

and the weights to counter balance the decoys are used 12g shells filled with old .22 pellets

£5 for the telescopic pole (i added another section inside to give another 5ft)

Total=£8post-16664-1264528304.jpg what do you think? :good: (the weights balance the decoys well, just need to field trial now) Field trial now done see post 14 for info,BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Looking great there,.

I made some my self look very similar, used old batteries for the weights and black tape and old wire coat hangers.

I had an old extenedable paint brush pole and a six foot length of ally pole that fits onto the end with just a lock pin used to hold in place.

So far so good works well and has lasted the last three months of use, was looking at using a roach Pole (Fishing) pole but a a little bit bendy in the wind....

ATB.

lee

made similar myself mate, they work a treat, only thing i found was easy to put them up in the trees but wait until you try getting them down, sliding the pipe overthe weight in the wind is awkward. I ended up using a funnel type of attachment on the end just to give it a bit more guidance.

hope they work well

JDF

Like i say need to try them out and tweek accordingly :oops: will let you know how i get on :lol:

I got the pole from the famous Blackbushe market,its telescopic and pretty sturdy,its origionally used for cleaning windows,ive inserted a pole inside to make it 4 sections,each section is roughly 5 ft so with me stretching my arm out it will give me 27 ft ish and thats a guesstimate,seems solid enough at full length,as i said above will post more details when ive tried it out :rolleyes: BB

Looking great there,.

I made some my self look very similar, used old batteries for the weights and black tape and old wire coat hangers.

I had an old extenedable paint brush pole and a six foot length of ally poles that fits onto the end with just a lock pin used to hold in place.

So far so good works well and has lasted the last three months of use, was looking at using a roach Pole (Fishing) pole but a a little bit bendy in the wind....

ATB.

lee

Never even thought about using btys as weights, :hmm: thats a good idea and i reckon their just the job :good: do you find you attract more birds with lofted decoys? would be interested to know :yes: BB

I have to say when i have used them they have worked well yes. I also made a "Y" section that clips onto the end of the pole and this allows me to get the decoys down no problem i can hook the wire or the plastic decoy it self. The Y section is wide enough to go around decoy with rubber inner tube to help hold. no trying to get weight into a tube or holder.... :no:

I also use when placing them in the tree a velcro strap around the bottom of the weight section battery and this holds it until the hook is put onto branch and then simply pull the pole back down and the battery pulls lose from the strap simple.....

Battery is taped solid to wire coat hanger.

The coat hanger is bent back on itself and allows it to be feed into the plastic post of the decoy tape around it and pushed in about 3 inches and then a screw added and tape. painted or sprayed.

Hope to get some pictures add.

Lee

Went out pigeon shooting today with turbo33,used the lofting pole and decoys,and they worked fine,the weights were spot on and held the decoys in the correct position for the duration of the day :good: so thats the field trial done and dusted :oops: and im happy with the results,the only thing im going to tweek is to add a funnel to the pole to retrieve the decoys at the end of the day :lol: didnt have any problems today getting the decoys down ,however in a strong wind it could be a different story :yahoo: BB just had a play with the hooks i made for the pigeons,and they are spot on for crows,perfect weight,and the fitting attachment is perfect too :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

nice work mate - ive got some lofting kit - i didnt make the poles and the weights myself, but found out after the first outing in high winds that the deeks had a tendency to snap at the base if they dropped from a decent height ; so managed to come up with this plan - which works perfectly and does not add much weight to the decoy itself ;

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=86832&hl=

Heres a pic of what i used to make,

Made from 5mm round steel bar, bent into shape using a mini pipe bender. The spike on the top is welded in position and also allows the bird to move in the wind.

the weight is a 80mm long peice of 22mm copper tube which is stood upright with the bar placed centrally, then filled with molten lead.

Trimmed clean the painted.

post-7404-1264954814.jpg