raising a stock comb

Ozzy Fudd

ok, need some help guys. im starting a project for a 10/22 stock, i got one today (cheers dazza :good:) and know what i want to do, but thought id throw my ideas around on here, maybe come up with something better.

i prefer a higher comb than most people, on my own 10/22 i have about 1" worth of rubber/plastic taped onto the top of the stock so my eye is always in the same position on the scope. admittedly having half the stock covered in insulating tape with a square block of black rubber on top looks a bit on the gay side, so ive decided to do a bit more of a professional job. i have two options

1 - cut the top of the comb off the stock and raise it up, something like below

boomer_2008_0303152.jpg

2 - level the top of the comb, then pin and glue a seperate piece of wood on top, and sand down/shape for the top of the comb, like this (kinda)

marauder.jpg

so whats everyones thoughts/ideas on this? which idea do you think would work/look better, and be easier? the stock will be repainted after i sort the comb out so not too worried about different wood patterns, etc.

cheers :oops:

ps im thinking a camo pattern of some sort, but im not sure what type to go for - i want to use something with stensils (ill mess up freehand) so any ideas appreciated :oops::huh:

for some reason im swaying towards red (the red top on the smirnoff bottle looks pretty :lol:)

custom-rifle-looks-002.jpg

anyway i just found this, really like the marbled look of it, just need to work out how it was done :yes:

unless i chicken out and go for a standard type camo (green/brown) i think i might go for a blocky/angular red and black pattern, probly easier to do, well see :yes:

so any thoughts on what type of comb heightener would be easiest? :lol:

try bending the wood with heat and linseed oil. if youre brave if not option 2 is best

thanks, but im definitely not brave :lol::yes: but im not sure if it would work or not though, its a standard ruger 10/22 stock like this

1022-2_tkoc.jpg

need it raised about 1", and thats just 1" back from the handhold bumpy part - technical terms, i know :lol: but you can see the part i mean, the start of the comb thats raised up; not sure if bending it would give me enough height, so option 2 is looking best at mo :yes:

thanks, but im definitely not brave :lol::yes: but im not sure if it would work or not though, its a standard ruger 10/22 stock like this

1022-2_tkoc.jpg

need it raised about 1", and thats just 1" back from the handhold bumpy part - technical terms, i know :lol: but you can see the part i mean, the start of the comb thats raised up; not sure if bending it would give me enough height, so option 2 is looking best at mo :yes:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I've just had a brainwave (about time), whoever said that the new cheek piece had to come from the same stock??

take a nice rounded cheekpiece from a damaged air rifle/rifle stock, cut a hole the same shape out of the ruger stock

get some threaded bars, and metal plates they can be bolted to

screw the plates to the wooden pieces, add the bars between

and bobs your uncle, an adjustable cheek piece :good:

What about a "Beartooth comb raiser"? I got one for use on a shotgun stock - Comes with 5 different thickness foam inserts.

Helps protect the stock, too.

i have a home made version of this on my rifle at the mo, but looks a bit of a bodge job tbh, so im thinking if i raise it up and paint it then (hopefully) itll look like the stock was designed that way :yes:

I've just had a brainwave (about time), whoever said that the new cheek piece had to come from the same stock??

take a nice rounded cheekpiece from a damaged air rifle/rifle stock, cut a hole the same shape out of the ruger stock

get some threaded bars, and metal plates they can be bolted to

screw the plates to the wooden pieces, add the bars between

and bobs your uncle, an adjustable cheek piece :good:

yep ive been thinking that myself, though what i might do is plane off the top of the ruger stock then glue and pin on the comb of another stock, sanded and shaped to blend in; adjustable sounded good but i reckon its going to be an awful lot of fiddling!! :no:

Heres a 10/22 I did a few years ago standard stock just made the extra bits from wood and set nuts into the stock and threaded in some studding .

the white on the paint job didnt glow as much in real life the way the flash caught it .

1022minirifle_edited.jpg

The advantage of the standard 10/22 stock is the top of the comb is flat .

Dave

verrrry nice! :yes: though how exactly did you fit the nuts in?

im still trying to decide on the paint job (red/black would look cool but scrapes would show up too easily i reckon) but i have an old wooden bb gun stock that ill cut up and use to heighten the ruger stock, and a spare weaver rail to screw on under the forend, so the technical parts are basically sorted :P