Some magnets are better...

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

On Sunday I watched as a guy charmed pigeons down to his pattern with a flapping real bird magnet. I was amazed, as I had set up earlier with mine only to take it down in disgust as I thought it was actually putting the birds off. Mine`s a Rotacoy and I started off using plastic bodied deeks with foam wings and tails. Can such a setup ever hope to compete with a £500 job? How can it be improved/upgraded? He finished up with a creditable total for a guy who was only on the field for c.1/2 day when nobody else was doing much. He did have the best location, being right under the flightline, but it was the magnet that really made the difference. Another pal was further along it and did not a lot. :)

Flightline

He was in the best location. On saturday i was lucky enough to manage a couple of hours out split my decoys with a mate so i had the grand total of 5 decoys in the two hours i managed 7 pigeon. My mate who i split the decoys with took his homemade magnet with him (i'd forgotten to charge my battery , as usual) Anyways me mate managed 12 in 3 1/2 hours.

As usual the old saying of "right place at the right time" rings true with shooting.

all the best    yis  yp

Magnets are very effective as we all know.  But they will do nothing if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Real birds on magnets are far better than plastics.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't bother taking my magnet out on saturday because i felt the pigeons were wise to them having seen so many in the last month.  I shot 58 with just standard decoys, floater and dead birds.  This was a classic case of right time, right place.  Some of the birds pulled in from over 100 yards up.  They also took one hell of a hiding on saturday from other guns making them very wary,  but they still found my set up hard to ignore.

Guest flightline

Deako,

I`m not sure if you really believe that. I do not want to believe it. But maybe the truth is, as you`ve posted before (and no doubt others have said earlier) you get what you pay for. What a desperarately depressinging philosophy though. And actually the ones with the biggest wallets don`t always get the most pigeons! See this site , for example. :) I`d like to believe that, with a few clever modifications, most people can bring an average setup to the level of the most expensive.