Roost Shooting

Quickshot

Ok, so i have some roost shooting every saturday now. There will be a group of us in all the woods in the area, hopefully to keep them moving. My question to you is, do i put a hide up? or find a good tree? And how can i tell where they land if its getting dark in the woods? Any tricks would be handy.

QS

Hi mate, i am just taking pigeon shooting up and have read magazines and searched through a lot of topics and all sorts. From what i have read from the magazine( Sporting Gun, Sporting Shooter) its better to find a good tree and sit still. Maybe you could use a hide but il let the more experienced roost shooter explain. Hope this helped :rolleyes:

Edited by Rizzini

Iam gonig every saturday in Feb and will deffo be making a good hide ! It keeps you well hidden and also keeps the wind off you if its a cold windy day. Normaly if the wood is used every year there will be a shell of a old hide ready for you and all you have to do is repair it !

Id also try placing a few decoys in the trees were theres lots of pigeon droppings. :rolleyes:

normally go light just gun and cartridge bag find a good tree where they are landing and stand in line with that and just keep as still as possible mate you will find that as it gets later you will probaly have to move further in too the wood as they will roost further in, every one has different methods but this has worked for me for the last 20 years its just a case of stick to what works for you mate its all trial and error. Good luck let us know how you do.

Cheers for making this post matey. Really helped with the answers. The only problem is my best roosting wood, is RIGHT next to a public foot path :rolleyes: so i have to be VERY careful of what i am doing. Shoot when no one is about and especially not over the footpath. Here is a quick drawing of it.Gethins.jpg

But its not the end of the world, iv got a few more woods i can shoot.

I have been roosting for 26 years plus and always take a net as you may have to move around the wood where the pigeons decide to land. The wind can make a lot of difference and pushes the birds to different positions pending direction and speed.

1 things for sure look for the tallest trees early afternoon as they will make for them 1st then drop into the warmest ares of the wood as light drops. If you go early afternoon put a few deeks round the outside of the wood as you may pull a few more birds, well it usually works for me! 4 weeks of roost shooting to go for me. Good luck shoot plenty.

is it a busy footpath mate if so this could actually help with your location, all so depends on wind direction and where ya main flight line is goin in to the wood.

Well, its not a very busy footpath, as not many people know about it. The pigeons come from the right fields from over the top from their feeding ground down into the wood. So they come from the right to left, If you get me. I will go up tomorrow evening to see where the birds are flying, e.g the middle of the wood, left or right side. So will be back with a bit more info on this wood.

Well, its not a very busy footpath, as not many people know about it. The pigeons come from the right fields from over the top from their feeding ground down into the wood. So they come from the right to left, If you get me. I will go up tomorrow evening to see where the birds are flying, e.g the middle of the wood, left or right side. So will be back with a bit more info on this wood.

Make sure your well insured just in case you get into difficulty there are some right idiots out there using this tyep of footpath you know!

Okay, sounds good to me. Ill let you know how it all goes. Ill try without a net first, then if it works, ill stick without. There are plenty of good trees i think, so ill stick under one of those! I may go out decoying first, around the farm, but we all draw woods from a hat, so i cant gaurentee that the place i will be decoying will be the place i will be roosting. Cheers Gents,

QS

Okay, sounds good to me. Ill let you know how it all goes. Ill try without a net first, then if it works, ill stick without. There are plenty of good trees i think, so ill stick under one of those! I may go out decoying first, around the farm, but we all draw woods from a hat, so i cant gaurentee that the place i will be decoying will be the place i will be roosting. Cheers Gents,

QS

Have fun buddy :rolleyes:

I have been roosting for 26 years plus and always take a net as you may have to move around the wood where the pigeons decide to land. The wind can make a lot of difference and pushes the birds to different positions pending direction and speed.

1 things for sure look for the tallest trees early afternoon as they will make for them 1st then drop into the warmest ares of the wood as light drops. If you go early afternoon put a few deeks round the outside of the wood as you may pull a few more birds, well it usually works for me! 4 weeks of roost shooting to go for me. Good luck shoot plenty.

Yeah right, so if the tall trees are upwind and exposed the birds will go there first and shun the lower warmer trees :good:

Just as an after thought, why did you answer your own post ? Clicky Link

I just go light too - carts, gun, dog. The best flight lines into the woods have some decent cover under them, usually just stand with my back to a holly tree or in amongst some deadfall trees. Sometimes have to move about a bit, but you can usually find the best sitty trees from the amount of poop on the floor.

Don't forget to wait on a bit - once the Pidges have finished coming in (or at least trying to if you are shooting 7 bells out of them), the black stuff will arrive. Which is nice, as its harder to see later on (duh!) and they are big and black :good: