worst groups

beezer

Just bought a batch of Remington .17hmr ammo’. It’s f**ing useless.

I have had 3 misfires in the first box, and at 100yds it is stringing vertically by over 2 inches.

The only thing I can put it down to is lack of an “even” priming in the rim, which is setting up uneven pressures. What ever the cause I won’t be buying Remington again. :<

G.M.

Just bought a batch of Remington .17hmr ammo’. It’s f**ing useless.

I'll second that .I bought some Remmington Target ammo in .22lr and it was so bad that some rounds went pop and did'nt even reach the sandbank 100yds away whilst others were high velocity .God knows what that group was 20ft i imagine :lol::lol:

Cheers Ive

I had a similar problem with federal 100gn soft point with my .243. I used to shoot good groups with the old load in the silver box, then they changed the box to a silver/ blue one, i was told at the gunshop that they were the exact same cartridge as before only the box has been changed, WRONG, before going stalking i tried the new batch on paper they were ****, i would be hard pushed to make a group cover an apple at 100yds. I have now started shooting norma and can honestly say they shoot a fantastic group i am well pleased with this load.

Try some different makes it will make a difference.

From the coments here it is obvious there are huge gun/ammo mis matches. I find Federal the best of the factory ammo ther is (and I can't even afford to use the Premium stuff, I have heard there are even better) so completly at odds with what Stirky said.

Trial and error I guess...

Expensive business rifle ownership isn't it? :thumbs:

As for worst group, it has to go to PPU! But the bloke in my local gunshop reckons it groups almost as well as his handloads in his gun - so there were go again :*)

The worst group i have ever had was with the .204 i use to have, using factory 40 grain v.max bullets.

I got a shotgun group of 3 to 4 inches. :lol: :o

When i changed to 32 grain, they just got into an inch, but i found only did the job on a fox now and again, not everytime, as they exploded on impact. :sly:

The .223 i have now, has never done that, deadly accurate. :thumbs:

No, I can put 5 rounds through the same hole at 25yds with an enfield No.8 on eley ammo. I just cant get the cz to go quite that well. may be that it needs more running in or just the type of ammo.

then why dont you get yourself an old converted enfield :thumbs:

if you want your cz to shoot tighter, try eley and winchester, float the barrel correctly, experiment with the tightness of the front action screw, and get a brookes kit for it

all of this comes to about £30 worth of components if that, and will make your rifle shoot ragged 1 hole groups @ 50 yards even if the rest of us mortals cant :sly:

The only reason I havnt got the trigger kit is cos im a tight *******!

I have checked the barrel is floated but I never thort about adjusting the screw

I had also thought about getting an enfield as a swap, but i aint got a spare slot. could i swap it for the mod temporarily as the enfield isnt screw cut?

I fitted that kit to my CZ452 and I am very happy with the results.

People do think it will be the be all and end all though, so its worth pointing out it will only reduce trigger pull (which you can do by adjusting the pressure on the original spring - to a certain degree) and if you are lucky enough to get the 'tube' to fit and work it will reduce trigger creep. I have seen other sites where they show adhesive foil tape used in place of the tube though.

I know of 3 people who have fitted the kits, apart from me, and none of them have ever got the tube to fit and work safely.

You do need very good (i.e. not Chinese) pin punch of the right diameter before starting, do not attempt to fit kit without one, like I did :thumbs:

Good luck!

I never bothered buying the kit, but I did see how it was done and then sorted out a brass tube from an old propelling pencil. I found a nice spring in my odd-and-**** draw and did the whole job for ******-all. :sly:

I find it a vast improvement over the original, but still not as good as my Sako. But having said that it is still a bloody good rifle for the price. :thumbs:

G.M.