Traditional spear hunting in Australia

SirFox

Knowing my luck I would miss and the bloody boomerang would come back behind me and smack me in the head!

Leicester Uni many years ago me and a few mates bought the big laminated wood boomerangs. We used to go out on the sports fields and throw them around and often at each other. Hellish things and I bet with a fog of pigeons you should get something, not very clean but something! Probably each other! These guys on the vids are masters! I would starve to death with some splinters in my fingers and head!

Leicester Uni many years ago me and a few mates bought the big laminated wood boomerangs. We used to go out on the sports fields and throw them around and often at each other. Hellish things and I bet with a fog of pigeons you should get something, not very clean but something! Probably each other! These guys on the vids are masters! I would starve to death with some splinters in my fingers and head!

What did you study?

thats impressive stuff!

i've never tried throwing a boomerang but i'm guessing it's quite easy once you've mastered the technique. i can how ever throw knifes and and an axe with a really good degree of accuracy. i use to shoot compound bows about 7 years ago so had a big target in the garden for that and also collected knifes of all varieties and had a few throwing knife so started practicing, then bought a throwing axe and got really good!

i ended up drawing the outline of a person on it and could repeatedly hit head,chest or stomach 9/10, obviously i'd never use them against a person but it satisfying to know you have a skill like that, i'd love ago with them spears too! again not for any reason other than to know i can do it, its a bit like bushcraft it facinates me i've a few books by ray (chubby) mears, bear grylls and chris ryan its stuff we would have known all them years ago and know it's almost forgotten, shame really.

My 14 year old son hit a flying pigeon with a cheap plastic boomerang last year on our campsite - I couldn't beleive my eye's... nor could some of the other campers!!! It swooped to the floor in a shower of feather's, shook it's head and flew off again! Needless to say we confiscated the boomerang! :angry::good: