Dog off Food

fortune82

I have a 1 year old cocker spaniel Dog. He is a small dog and weighs around 14KG. He is perfectly healthy and has loads of energy and is alaways wagging his tail. The problem seems to be he goes on and off his food. Over the christmas period he hardly ate anything for around a week and lost a couple of Kilos. Was just about to take him to the vet when he started eating again. Recently he has also been off his food ie only eating breakfast.

I feed him on dog mince, Chicken wings / thighs, Hearts etc. He also gets canned food as well.

Does anyone else have this and is it common? He gets about 1 - 1.5 hours exercise a day and lives in a kennel and run but gets in the house during the day at weekends and evenings midweek.

Thanks

I have a 1 year old cocker spaniel Dog. He is a small dog and weighs around 14KG. He is perfectly healthy and has loads of energy and is alaways wagging his tail. The problem seems to be he goes on and off his food. Over the christmas period he hardly ate anything for around a week and lost a couple of Kilos. Was just about to take him to the vet when he started eating again. Recently he has also been off his food ie only eating breakfast.

I feed him on dog mince, Chicken wings / thighs, Hearts etc. He also gets canned food as well.

Does anyone else have this and is it common? He gets about 1 - 1.5 hours exercise a day and lives in a kennel and run but gets in the house during the day at weekends and evenings midweek.

Thanks

Spaniels pretty much regulate themselves with food, where as other dogs will eat it just because its there, most spaniels will only eat when they are hungry

have cocker bitch and she is very fussy......like you we also do the raw diet and then dry kibble and some wet food.....generally raw is wolfed down kibble also if we have been out hunting......if she is hungry in evening I have ceen me putting the kibble in her bowl for her to sniff it and walk away,,,so i reach into same bowl as she watches put same kibble into a ball that rolls and food falls out and then she will wolf it down.....have to flash fry kindney 5 seconds or just snif and walks away.....they do ceem to be of the more fussy type of spaniel...

best to get him checked just incase,,,tho as i was told unlike cats a dog will always eat when hungry enough,,,,,,

my dog was off his food the last couple of days then i was out shooting through the day and in evening and its kicked his hunger back in i sometimes thinks he gets bored so i change his food sometimes like today he got brown bread toasted with some biscuits which i put a drop of warm water over to moisten them and he wolfed it down!!

my cocker is just the same.

fit and healthy noting wrong with him other than food issues. he seams to only eat what he needs and very rare will he over eat. what we have noticed is if he is out all day working then for two nights he will eat a bowl full, if he has had a few days off then he eats a half bowl. if we put roast chicken left overs in his kibbles then he eats it like theres no tommorrow but then the day after his turn outs start hard and then go squitty. when i asked the nutritionists at skinners they siad the squitty bit is unused protein where hes eaten to much. so the chicken of duck scraps get saved for work days now.

I use to worry about it all the time but now i have learnt his quirkiness so all is good.

Phil.

Mines quite un-interested in food, Unless its human food of course!!!! Loves chicken left overs from a roast, veggies and all. On a daily basis he has pigeon breast with a bit of cold water and a large handful of duck and rice kibble. He isn't interested in the kibble alone but once stirred with pigeon juice all over it he finishes the lot.

Edited by turbo33