30-06

Beardo

Wasn't it the original US Army Springfield calibre?

They probably just got used to it, understood it and wanted to continue to resist anything that whiffed of being metric.

Yes it was the original military issue so that gives it a head start. It has been around and has some legacy. Many gun writers of old (and new) wrote of the many tales of the 30-06. Plus, everyone's grandfather used one. So everyone's father had at least one.

It's barky & fast...

Think 22-250, 25-06 etc :rolleyes:

Only kinda. Yes it has more bark than a 308, but it isn't in the same league as a 25-06 or 270. They are on the same base cartridge (the -06) but the bigger 30 caliber bores have a little less 'bark' than the smaller bores. That said, the difference is more or less negligible.

Besides, for a do-all cartridge, the 30-06 is tough to beat. It can shoot 110's up to 220's and comfortably handle most any game on the planet, certainly most anything that the majority of people will actually be shooting. Despite having enough energy to do most anything, the recoil isn't bad and is tollerable by the average shooter. To get a significant performance benefit over the -06, you have to jump to a 300 mag which increases recoil and powder burn quite considerably.

Thanks,

Rick

If you look at the ballistics charts you will see very little difference between the .308 and the .3006 . I think the 30-06 has remained popular because it was the main millitary calibre of the us for many years and there was millions of surplus millitary ammo avaiable .

The .30-06 is a potent round but longer than a .308 ,which is the main reason for the change to the .308 / 7.62 for machine gun ammunition , same power ,shorter case .easier extraction . The best thing that ever came out of the .30-06 was the mighty .270 . Just put the .30-06 case through a .270 resizing die and you have the one of the best all round calibres known to man .

Harnser .

Just caught my eye 30.06

I agree that the 308 will do just about all that the 06 will do and more effiecient with regards powder usage, but i had the choice of any 30 calibre and i just happened to choose the 30.06, i am thinking now though i should of gone for a 300 win mag, why??? because its bigger :rolleyes:

as regards recoil allot depends on what your pushing through it, compare a 110 grain to a 220 grain and you will feel the difference :rolleyes:

Just caught my eye 30.06

I agree that the 308 will do just about all that the 06 will do and more effiecient with regards powder usage, but i had the choice of any 30 calibre and i just happened to choose the 30.06, i am thinking now though i should of gone for a 300 win mag, why??? because its bigger :rolleyes:

as regards recoil allot depends on what your pushing through it, compare a 110 grain to a 220 grain and you will feel the difference :rolleyes:

Dougy, have you got that clip of me shooting your .30-06 in Croatia?

The Dougy ringing ears special. Oooh I laughed.

If you look at the ballistics charts you will see very little difference between the .308 and the .3006 . I think the 30-06 has remained popular because it was the main millitary calibre of the us for many years and there was millions of surplus millitary ammo avaiable .

The .30-06 is a potent round but longer than a .308 ,which is the main reason for the change to the .308 / 7.62 for machine gun ammunition , same power ,shorter case .easier extraction . The best thing that ever came out of the .30-06 was the mighty .270 . Just put the .30-06 case through a .270 resizing die and you have the one of the best all round calibres known to man .

Harnser .

No, not a lot of difference if you consider 200 fps not a lot. In case anyone is wondering what that means, with a 165 gr nosler BT (my choice bullet in the -06) the bullet from the -06 is going as fast at 100 yards as the 308 at the muzzle. In terms of MPBR that gives you an extra 25 yards on deer (350 vs 325).

Now I realize that in this country you're doubtful to shoot 300 yards so that doesn't mean anything. However in the US we were routinely shooting past 300 and that bit extra did make a difference. It takes a lot of guess work out of quick shots.

Thanks

Rick

No, not a lot of difference if you consider 200 fps not a lot. In case anyone is wondering what that means, with a 165 gr nosler BT (my choice bullet in the -06) the bullet from the -06 is going as fast at 100 yards as the 308 at the muzzle. In terms of MPBR that gives you an extra 25 yards on deer (350 vs 325).

Now I realize that in this country you're doubtful to shoot 300 yards so that doesn't mean anything. However in the US we were routinely shooting past 300 and that bit extra did make a difference. It takes a lot of guess work out of quick shots.

Thanks

Rick

Absolutely correct Rick . At 350 yards the .308 loaded with a 150 grain bullet has more than enough power to kill any large deer or antelope . The 150 grain .308 is still supersonic at 1200 yards ,so still has enough energy to do the job at theses ranges . Ok , the 30-06 will get there a very ,very ,fraction of a second sooner .

Harnser .

Most of us in this country and proberbly in most countrys shoot deer with to much gun . Most hunters prefer a fairly heavy bullit travelling at the speed of light . These bullits work because of the kinetic energy produced and the hydro-shock damage done to the body tissues . But what happens when a deer is shot with one of these bullits ? yes you are right ,the bullit passes compleatly through the beast and out the cther side . Thats a waste of power .

I have shot white tail bucks and does in the states with a .44 magnum handgun and killed them clean at 50 yards with a 140 grain bullit travelling at about 1500 feet per second ,half the speed of the rifle bullit and I have seen deer killed clean with the pistol at 100 yards , a decent range for a rifle . When shot with a pistol rarely does the bullit pass through the deer and all the energy is expended in the deer and they will drop like a stone if shot properly .

All I am trying to say is that a few feet more or less per second in a rifle bullit means nothing .

Harnser .