spoilt myself

SimonT

Just spent £300 on a vitara which is taxed and motd and drives well, few small bits to put right. It has the fatboy kit on it, so wondered if you can get any off road tyres for the wheels. Not to worried if you cant as I will just change, just wondered if any one else had changed a vitara from this format.

The one I have was originally a fatboy one. The shocks/springs on the back may be a bit hard for offroad though. I changed mine as they just threw you all over without soaking up the bigger bumps. Rather than buying vit springs and shocks though stick some MKII astra rear shocks on and some rear rover 600 springs. That gives you a 2" lift and softer ride. Far cheaper too.

The difflock forum has a section designated to suzukis. Some very handy tips on there!

Once you have the 2" lift you will be able to go with bigger tyres so you may gain an extra inch there too giving you far more ground clearance.

Things to check.....Fuel tank hoses. these just turn to puff pastry and leak fuel or give poor fuel pressure. Mine were shot to bits but I knew that on buying so factored in a new tank and hoses. Think I spent about £80 on flea bay.

Passengers electric window fails. It's a connection problem 9/10 and not the switch. The wires bend and corrode in the door and body joint. A simple repair.

Cut the lower part of the front bumper off along the lowest ridge line. It's only 2". It gives you more clearance at the front to get up any slopes without ripping it off.

If you intend on going through any deep water stick a snorkel and wading pipes on the diff and boxes etc. Waterproof all the electrics etc.

I also removed the alarm and immobilisor off mine as it kept cutting the car out when it got wet.

Check the transfer box all works fine. I had a clutch change done on mine and the muppets dropped the box. Got a replacement off the bay for £100 but a ****** to fit due to weight.

Cracking motors. :good:

One of the electrical faults I had is the horn works when the ignition is off on doesnt when on. This turned out to be an earthing fault, there is an earth lead on the steering column in the engine bay that was corroded. Turns out this is also another common issue

Edited by SimonT

i'm going to pick up a set of mud tyres from http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/category_4x4.php on Monday (£200 for 4 Kingpin Technic Amazon MT)

i'm sure they'll do some to fit yours - what size are the current tyres?

they're not far from you Al4x - on the Barton road just north of Luton

Edited by nickbeardo

are they based on a farm? postcode looks like its on a farm next to my mates. Its a little way from me i'll have you know I'm an SG postcode and nothing to do with Luton :good:

If it is there odds are it has something to do with the guy who runs Devils pit as he runs a landrover business from the farm.

yeah New Farm - guess it probably is then.

SG - isn't that Stevenage - almost as bad :good:

Whitwell I'll have you know :good:

ah thats the one, see if it is run by Simon who does the landrovers up there if so i might be able to blag a discount set :good:

p.s with that set you certainly won't want to go far on road but you won't get stuck again i'd imagine

Edited by al4x