Dodgy Dealers

G man

Hi All,

I am new to air gunning and after reading lots of different opinions i thought i would order a .177 BSA Lightening XL,so i bought a few magazines and found a good deal for a combo from a supplier i best not mention at this time but will shortly,The story goes like this and i swear every word is true.

Monday 10/10/05- i phone and ask availability of the above gun combo to be told- I have a used .22 with a gas strut upgrade i will give you it for £270,I said i was not sure and that i would phone back later.I did not get the chance as the shop owner phoned me an hr later and asked if i had made up my mind and i said i would probably stick with a new 177 to which he replied-You would be better to order now as i have only 1 left so i ordered and he included overnight delivery as per the advert,(being posted on 11/10 and recieving on 12/10)so i paid by credit card and waited excitedly till Wednesday 12/10,guess what no gun!!!!!

So i phoned the shop and told him it did not come to which the reply came well wait till tomorrow and if it does not come i will send another (i only have 1 springs to mind).

Thursday 13/10 I phoned again and he said he would send another to which i said i thought you only had one though? he replies these things come and go all the time.I said it would be best just to cancel the transaction (as he sounded very dodgy),he replies i can't i have sent 2 guns to you now so it will arrive tomorrow I replied i thought you said you would send and now you are saying you have sent it so i said if it is not here on Friday i would cancel and he replied DO WHAT YOU LIKE , So on 14/10 i again wait in all day and guess what no gun!! so i phone again and he says he will look into it and phone me back--he did not so i phoned and asked him what courier he was using and what his name was he said he used ANC and his name was Stuart but never gave me full name i asked him for the consignment number to which he replied i do not have it handy at the moment anyway leave it to me i will chase it up!I then phoned my credit card company and told them all this fiasco and they told me that the sale did not go through till Wednesday anyway,they have opened an enquirey into this also.

He is a liar and a cheat as i done my own research on Saturday through ANC and they told me they had recieved only 1 pick up from the shop and it was on Friday at 5.30pm and will be with me on Monday 17/10 and there was no other delivery attempted to myself,so hopfully on Monday it arrives and is as i ordered but i do not have any confidence that it will be ok.

Why take on a deal and contract if you cannot deliver knowing full well that you don't have any stock and are unable to deliver as promised?:)

Anyway folks sorry i have went on a bit but i am totally frustarated by the whole thing!!

I will post shortly if i do get the gun and all is ok and WARN EVERYBODY FROM THIS GUN SHOP AS THEY HAVE NO CONSUMER RELATIONS WHATSOVER AND DON,T CARE WHO THEY HURT IN THEIR QUEST TO GET YOUR MONEY.

G

This sounds like the usual situation, when you deal with someone who works out of their front room.

They sell you a gun at a price.

They then have to try to obtain that gun at a better price,(thats when the delays start).

They often try to get you to accept something different, to what you originally asked for (thats what they have in stock......cancelled order ?).

Usually, you get the gun and there are no problems, except for the delay.

The worst thing that can happen from the Sellers point of view , is that you get fed up waiting and cancel the order.

But, then someone else will come along.

Cranfield, I realise what you are saying but this is a city shop that advertises in Airgun world,you would think that advertising in a well known mag that they could ill afford to muck people around like i have been.I really feel like taking it farther but to what extent?I just hope the gun arrives ok and i will go all out to put people off using this idiot.

Heres hoping

G

With respects G man, how do you know its a City shop ?

There use to be a "shop" that sold fishing tackle, advertised in the magazines with pictures of a big shop front, counters full of stock etc.

In reality, it traded from a railway arch in Southend.

When the business is finally concluded, one way or the other, why not write to the magazine where you saw the advertisement and detail the facts to them.

Magazines usually take the complaints seriously.

Cranfield is right,

First name and shame so other pigeon watchers dont get caught out and secondly let the magazine know what sort of traders they are dealing with this could ultimately damage their trade inadvertantly.

I tend to cosider advertisers in the shooting press that I read to be reputable because they advertise in these magazines this may be nieave but it sould not be.

Dave

LOL what an idiot gun shop owner

I would of went to his shop :)

Best thing to do mate is to order online like i did for my airgun.

Go to a well advertised website that u know you can trust and actually ring up the shop and research up about the shop.

there are only two places i would ever think of using either as mail order, or via web sites.

www.airgunbuyer.com

and JS ramsbottom

i think a lot others are a bit on the hit and miss side.

But rember a store isnt judged on how many good sales they have, but on what they do when the sales go wrong.

personaly i dont think the shop has been out of line with what he has done, may have been a little pushy. and selling a gas rammed lightening as a new rifle? as far as im aware they dont come standard with gas ram, its an after market mod which would invalidate any warentee. so this alone would have got my alarm bells ringing.

hope it turns up safe and sound tomorrow but from the sounds of it you know its on its way to you :)

if there is any damage to the box open it in front of the delivery guy and inspect it there and then, but your only checking for damage caused in transit DO NOT SIGN FOR IT UNTIL YOUR HAPPY WITH IT!

ROB :lol:

Not being Funny but if a shop Rings you back trying to push a sale you want to avoid them totaly, Chances are the stock is damaged or has some issue with it these dealers arnt out there to offer you a good deal or do you a favore never fool for that they just want to unload there goods

Special offer

Last one left

You could miss out!

These are all the type of comments i consider Warning signs. Just to repeat my above point, Why would these people want to do you a favore?

Not being Funny but if a shop Rings you back trying to push a sale you want to avoid them totaly, Chances are the stock is damaged or has some issue with it these dealers arnt out there to offer you a good deal or do you a favore never fool for that they just want to unload there goods

mimic not true!!!!! my local gunshop knows i have been interestead in a couple fo rifles before, and every time they have sold it to soemone else i always get a call to mobile asking if i wanted the rifle before they sell it to someone else. believ it or not some salesmen out there really are trying to do you a favour!

and from the sounds of it, the rifle he was offered was the rifle he asked about only a better version, with the exception of it being a .22 instead of the prefered .177

but even a gasrammed .22 lightening XL at the above price is a seriously good deal from a gun shop even if it is second hand! 1. your buying a decent rifle. 2. any faults and you have the shop to moan to. 3. three month warentee on all second hand goods bought from a trader.

the only thing the retailer fouled up on was saying the rifle was sent out when it wasnt.

still recon 7 days from day of order is not a long time to wait, most shops do one parcel pick up per week, unless they have a high turnover.

ROB :)

OK FOLKS,

Gun arrived this morning and guess what --not a .177 but a .22 but new with bag,scope (3-9 x40) and pellets as promised,So i have decided to keep the gun as i am unwilling to go through any more hassle ,I did phone the gun shop and told him to wich he apologised and i then slated him for telling me lies about the previous so called shipment that did not happen to which he apologised again and still says he did ship another on Thursday but now it was with a different courier as i told him i had checked with ANC as he told me it was them on Thursday and thay had nothing by Thursday,I now feel i can reveal the name of the shop as i have my gun and i have not told 1 single lie or exaggerated in any way,so CITY AIRWEAPONS (LINCOLN) you should be ashamed of the way you treated me but you will not treat me like this again as i will never buy from you again. :<

G

PS ANT ,I would have went his shop if it was within 50 miles but i live in Scotland and it is a bit far to go to Lincoln. :)

mimic not true!!!!! my local gunshop knows i have been interestead in a couple fo rifles before, and every time they have sold it to soemone else i always get a call to mobile asking if i wanted the rifle before they sell it to someone else. believ it or not some salesmen out there really are trying to do you a favour!

and from the sounds of it, the rifle he was offered was the rifle he asked about only a better version, with the exception of it being a .22 instead of the prefered .177

but even a gasrammed .22 lightening XL at the above price is a seriously good deal from a gun shop even if it is second hand! 1. your buying a decent rifle. 2. any faults and you have the shop to moan to. 3. three month warentee on all second hand goods bought from a trader.

the only thing the retailer fouled up on was saying the rifle was sent out when it wasnt.

still recon 7 days from day of order is not a long time to wait, most shops do one parcel pick up per week, unless they have a high turnover.

Well this maybe the case for "some dealers" i have to say the one i use who i have been dealing with since my childhood has always been very helpfull, But in the same hand i know of atleast 4 other shops that i wont use....

Yes it sounds like a good deal, But is it? you know a car salesman will offer you a great car for under the list price , Then you find out it has a major issue

For all you know the rifling in that gun could be ruined or could have other damage warped or otherwise unsavory, Does the seller offer any warranty onit? is it sold as seen?, If he has never used the shop before why would they be so keen to sell it to him cheap?

All im saying is these are things you should check before parting with cash. or your liable to get stung

Edited by mimic

MIMIC,

THats exactly why i did not buy that gun as i do not know the history of it for one and i could not try it out for another,the guy in the shop said it was only about two months old but the i thought who the hell would by a gun and fit a gas ram in it then sell it after only two months? glad i stuck to the new gun but would not rule out buying second hand in the future if i could see the gun and try it.

G

ROBLADE,

This is not the one they offered me at first,this is a new one but i asked for a .177 gun,I think he just sent me this as i was putting pressure on him and he could not get a 177 in time,anyway i paid 245 quid for the new .22 XL with a bag,3-9 x 40 scope and a tin of pellets this also including overnight delivery (which is really a week)if he can get the gun.A brilliant deal i think but if you cant d0 what you advertise then dont advertise.

G

can i just ask out of curiosity why you didnt go for one of the big companies like Blackpool Air Rifles or JS ramsbottom?

priced that combo up with JSR and it came in at £244.38 including next day delivery

and £259 from BAR

personaly i would have prefered to go with one of the biggest retailers than a small unheard of one if i were going to deal mail order only.

If i were you i would send the rifle back and ask for the rifle you wanted in the first place (.177 version). Dont let shops like this take the mic with your money.

its a bit liek taking your car in to have a service done i would never take my car to ahve work done at any garage i hadnt been to before or been recomended to, i would wait until i could go to one of the garages i would trust.

ROB,

As i am new to this i just looked at what was the best price with all included,at Jsr it was cheaper then add bag and postage and pellets so i just thought i would give this shop a try and hey presto got shagged,but i was not sure wether to go for .177 or .22 anyway so i am just as happy getting the .22 but will never go near that shop again.

Cheers,

G

it will never happen again if the goverment get there way they are restricting air gun sales to licensed gun shop only very very soon no mail orders on internet sales on any air gun its being passed through parlement as we talk if you look back through bbc news on the web i think it was thurday theres a big article on it