Irish Lads 8 - Charlie 0

gary29428

We did 3 hrs on the lamp last night and had 8. Six at between 80 - 130yrds, one at 190 and one stubbern ****** at 240yds. We were out last Friday and did 4 but seen about 15 and again last night did 8 and seen about the same (15). Things just went well last night, lot of easy shots on sitting foxes. No miss in the last few outings, got a new Cat Eye scope in Cabelas a few months ago and am really starting to trust it. We might pull an all nighter this weekend, see if we can make the 20.

100_0309.jpg

100_0308.jpg

100_0310.jpg

In and around Co.Galway Frank. Unreal the amount of foxes about, there was only 3 cubs in what we shot last night and only 1 from last Friday. We are using a BRNO .22 Hornet, must say I love this rifle. I know people will say too small etc. but we shoot in a lot of semi-urban areas and this gun is quiet enough not to cause alarm and powerful and accurate enough to do the job and do it well. 9 times out of 10 we are taking chest shots which will drop the animal with no questions asked. We have all the fox calls under the sun including electronic callers and the famous fox whistle, but you can't beat the aeroboard on the widescreen it's deadly. It's funny but whenever I get any new electronic equipment, unlike a normal male who dives straight in playing with all the gadgets I break of a piece of the aeroboard packaging and rub it on the window to see what it sounds like (sad). What are you doing the damage with down there.

Impressive shooting with the Hornet. :lol: You cant beat a good Hornet escpecially when its a Brno. B)

Im shooting a CZ(Brno) .223, a bit louder, but then a bang is a bang, a lot of fellas i know, shoot with shotguns, their fairly loud, louder then my .223 anyways.

I too shoot closed in areas, but everyone knows me around here and when they see a lamp, they know its me. I often ring the Guards(police) to let them know im lamping, just in case someone rings in complaining.

I find the .223 deadly on foxes, have had it 2 months now and 23 foxes later, im happy as punch. :lol:

Your right, their is a lot of foxes this year, it was the same last year, a mate of mine, took 336 last season, using a .220 Swift and T8 sound moderator. DEADLY COMBO. :lol::)

Badsworth,

Its basicly getting a peace of Polystyrene and wetting it a bit with your tounge and then slowly scrapping it along your window screen, which makes a rabbit squeeking noise.

Works great on land full of foxes. B) They come running in like shep for his supper. :lol:

Nuttin's more fun than spottin a fox and speeding after it at 40mph accross a field in a 4x4. Then having to actually get an accurate shot off whilst trying to give it lead and trying not to fall out the side of the truck!!! B)

Usin a shotty of course!

Edited by Jon-Boy

Could you explain a bit more about the

aeroboard on the widescreen

I've never heard of it - it sounds deadly!

Badsworth

The old ones are often the best...damp bit of polystyrene on glass...it's b***** deadly old chap B)

Nice nights work guys. Have fun on your all nighter. Must be interestin'; night shootin' in Ireland...does no one ever shoot back :lol:

Not since they stopped us shooting the refugee's B) I love shooting at night, especially late night like 3 or 4 in the morning. It's a side of the countryside very few people see. Has anyone who has a Hornet tried Hornaday 35gr V-Max (the one's with the red tip), I use them at long range, 200+. They are a little flatter then the Winchester Super X hollows I us for everything else. I ain't a balistics expert but always feel more confident running one of these up the chamber when he's sitting out and won't come in. I guess the more you shot and hit your intended target the more confident you get with your ammo and hardware.

Badworth, can't believe you have never tried the aeroboard. There is nothing that will get him running at you like it. We usually click our fingers when they are about 80yds out to stop them otherwise they'd be in the jeep.

Yep, have shot the 35 grain v.max in a Hornet i use to have, deadly alright. :lol:

I got 3 inch groups at 250yds with a CZ. At 300 yds and if it was not too windy, i would aim at the top of the head and get the fox in the chest, droped him like a sack of spuds. :lol: Good Hornet ammo, they do tend to speed up barrell wear a wee bit though. B) Altough, it should still go for 5 to 6000 rounds.