How many days can we shoot before we need planning permission.

badsworth

A bunch of friends and I occassionally have a clay shoot on a local farm. We shoot a few days during the year. One of the locals has said that if we want to keep doing this regularly we will need to get planning permission for holding a clay shoot.

Does anyone know how many days we can shoot before we need planning permission? Is it the same everywhere, or is it a matter for the local council/planning authority to decide?

What are the implications of going down this road? Would the Police get involved? Would we need insurance, risk asessments etc? Anything else?

Thanks folks - I know soeone on here will have the answers.

Badsworth.

A bunch of friends and I occassionally have a clay shoot on a local farm. We shoot a few days during the year. One of the locals has said that if we want to keep doing this regularly we will need to get planning permission for holding a clay shoot.

Does anyone know how many days we can shoot before we need planning permission? Is it the same everywhere, or is it a matter for the local council/planning authority to decide?

What are the implications of going down this road? Would the Police get involved? Would we need insurance, risk asessments etc? Anything else?

Thanks folks - I know soeone on here will have the answers.

Badsworth.

In the eyes of the law it would not be a lawfull activity unless a valid risk assesement was inplace, if not legally you could be had up and would also have no grounds to stand on if you were disturbed by antis. if you have a risk assesment theyre disrupting a lawfull activity.

Get a risk assesment!

28 days, a risk assessment and insurance.

Get yourself a qualified safety officer CPSA or APSI. They will help a lot and make it legal for insurance.

You can do it every week if you change the location of the shoot every week.

One week on one farm, the next week a few miles away, though the further the better, on the same farmers land, works a treat. 28 days on both sights. Even better if it can be done on two different farms/farmers. :good:

Use a quiet 21g or 24g cartridge only in fibre. Try to stack ALL the odds in your favour. A wooded valley is good if you have one as it helps to confine the noise. :D

Good luck. :(

I help run a small club and the answer is no more than 28 times a year. If you are going to run it as a club you must consider what you would do if people start turning up to shoot other than your few friends.It's natural to to let them join in and you have now taken on responsibility for their health and safety.You now need insurance to cover incidents,you need to ensure that all taking part are competent to do so unsupervised.You next problem could well be noise pollution,the locals that might protest are usually newcomers. We are fortunate that all our ground rent goes directly to local charities including the local village hall fund,that keeps lots of people happy!

Vic.

Lots of good info is coming in folks - thankyou. I've got the message that it is 28 days max - but keep the other feedback coming please. I am Risk assessment trained so I could do that - but I am keen to hear all the advice that you have to offer.

B

I help run a small club and the answer is no more than 28 times a year. If you are going to run it as a club you must consider what you would do if people start turning up to shoot other than your few friends.It's natural to to let them join in and you have now taken on responsibility for their health and safety.You now need insurance to cover incidents,you need to ensure that all taking part are competent to do so unsupervised.You next problem could well be noise pollution,the locals that might protest are usually newcomers. We are fortunate that all our ground rent goes directly to local charities including the local village hall fund,that keeps lots of people happy!

Vic.

Hi Vic,

How's it going? Don't know the situation in your fine country but here there is a thing called "section 11" which covers "other" people, like those with no shotgun certificate or people not known to the organisers. It is basically an under taking to the police on adequate supervision and general site safety and suitability. My club operates in the less than 28 day area and has it. Don't think it is an absolute though.

Wullie, the same applies in England in that you can get an exemption from the local police authority to allow non certificate holders to shoot but only under supervision of a certificate holder.It is therefore beholden of the club to be aware of non certificate holders who want to shoot.

The way we and others do it is to record all members certificate details and to require non members to sign in. Even so you have to keep your eyes open for strangers turning up and being allowed to 'have a go' by a well meaning friend for example.

Vic.

The 28 day rule only applies under The General Development Order ( know as a GDO) to agricultural land. Under this order (1964) new, non agricultural activities can take place for 28 days in an annual period. Certain activities are limited to 14 days ( shooting is not a limited actvity).

This 28 days is cumulative, so if motocross takes place for 10 days a year on the land then there is only 18 clay days left.

This is known a deemed permission, ie the permission already exists and you do not need to apply for it.

If the land is non-agricultural, ie a Hotel Curtilage, then no planning exists for even one day.

Conversely, on an activity centre with 5 days a week planning, no extra application would be needed for clays 250 days a year unless the permission excluded fire-arms from the activities.