First outing with new CZ...

toka_shigazu

Well i managed to get out yesterday t otry to zero in my CZ, having bore sighted it in my garden. i was only out for an hour or so so didnt think i would get to have a walk with Bilbo, but i took him along to do his own thing while i was fiddling.

i set up the targets at 122yards [according to google maps], and used an industrial plastic container as a rest. the wind was blowing though so i wasnt expecting 100% accuracy, from me or the rifle.

my first shot hit the paper some 4" above and a couple of inches right. i was happy with that and within another 20 shots i was ready to try a group at a lower magnification which would be more realistic for my hunting. i got 3 shots within 3/4" of each other about 3/4" higher than the centre, which was what i was after. i will fine tune the zeroing when it is less windy as the shots were being blown across. i was happy with the results and within 5 mins decided to take a walk.

dsc02022800x631.jpgdsc02023710x800.jpg

my test group below at 8x mag.

dsc02021800x618.jpg

it will need the trigger fixing before the final zero and i am waiting for the kit to do that. there should be no creep and i prefer a light pull weight.

anyway we headed off and within 50 yards Bilbo had stopped to mark inside some dense scrub. i managed to totter over with my rifle over my shoulder. he was marking a set of 4 holes in a small mound. as i stood there he started to rip at the hole entrance and a rat emerged as if in slow motion from a hole at the back of the mound. i was stuck between wanting to help, but not wanting to drop or fall over with the rifle. i called him and by the time he looked up the rat was away. he followed it through the scrub for what seemed like a few minutes, but was more like seconds. they were both weaving around and after a circular route the rat appeared to head back into the mound. Bilbo went to check but it appeared that the rat may have found another bolt hole or path that was unsighted to me as he showed no further interest.

we headed down throug hthe fields and i reined Bilbo in as we got towards the bottom end. if we were to come across and foxes or rabbits it would be there. we got to a patch of scrub next to the railway line and as i checked over it with the bino's i could see two rabbits out in the field about 150 yards away. one headed out of sight but the other remained in the field. i got a few yards closer and bought the rifle up. there was nowhere to rest it and i felt the extra weight of the bipod on my arm. the wind was blowing hard by now. i aimed an inch or so left of the rabbit, almost inline with its spine and the bottom of its shoulder, and fired. o heard the thump of the bullet and the rabbit keeled over its rear leg twitching. i measured the distance once i got back home on google maps and found it to be 96m.

dsc02011800x600.jpg

dsc02013800x600.jpg

and sneaking in...

dsc02016800x600.jpg

i was made up...no worries with this rifle unlike the Stirling....cant wait now until the trigger kit arrives and then a still warm day to fine tune it...

will keep you updated!!

Bilbo will eat well for a couple of days as i gave him the rabbit as he hasnt had one for a while now.

Well i managed to get out yesterday t otry to zero in my CZ, having bore sighted it in my garden. i was only out for an hour or so so didnt think i would get to have a walk with Bilbo, but i took him along to do his own thing while i was fiddling.

i set up the targets at 122yards [according to google maps], and used an industrial plastic container as a rest. the wind was blowing though so i wasnt expecting 100% accuracy, from me or the rifle.

my first shot hit the paper some 4" above and a couple of inches right. i was happy with that and within another 20 shots i was ready to try a group at a lower magnification which would be more realistic for my hunting. i got 3 shots within 3/4" of each other about 3/4" higher than the centre, which was what i was after. i will fine tune the zeroing when it is less windy as the shots were being blown across. i was happy with the results and within 5 mins decided to take a walk.

dsc02022800x631.jpgdsc02023710x800.jpg

my test group below at 8x mag.

dsc02021800x618.jpg

it will need the trigger fixing before the final zero and i am waiting for the kit to do that. there should be no creep and i prefer a light pull weight.

anyway we headed off and within 50 yards Bilbo had stopped to mark inside some dense scrub. i managed to totter over with my rifle over my shoulder. he was marking a set of 4 holes in a small mound. as i stood there he started to rip at the hole entrance and a rat emerged as if in slow motion from a hole at the back of the mound. i was stuck between wanting to help, but not wanting to drop or fall over with the rifle. i called him and by the time he looked up the rat was away. he followed it through the scrub for what seemed like a few minutes, but was more like seconds. they were both weaving around and after a circular route the rat appeared to head back into the mound. Bilbo went to check but it appeared that the rat may have found another bolt hole or path that was unsighted to me as he showed no further interest.

we headed down throug hthe fields and i reined Bilbo in as we got towards the bottom end. if we were to come across and foxes or rabbits it would be there. we got to a patch of scrub next to the railway line and as i checked over it with the bino's i could see two rabbits out in the field about 150 yards away. one headed out of sight but the other remained in the field. i got a few yards closer and bought the rifle up. there was nowhere to rest it and i felt the extra weight of the bipod on my arm. the wind was blowing hard by now. i aimed an inch or so left of the rabbit, almost inline with its spine and the bottom of its shoulder, and fired. o heard the thump of the bullet and the rabbit keeled over its rear leg twitching. i measured the distance once i got back home on google maps and found it to be 96m.

dsc02011800x600.jpg

dsc02013800x600.jpg

and sneaking in...

dsc02016800x600.jpg

i was made up...no worries with this rifle unlike the Stirling....cant wait now until the trigger kit arrives and then a still warm day to fine tune it...

will keep you updated!!

Bilbo will eat well for a couple of days as i gave him the rabbit as he hasnt had one for a while now.

What a cracking write up mate! Isn't it a real pleasure when you go out to fire and zero a new rifle for the first time and everything "comes together" so well! I love the CZ 452 in 17HMR, it's a brilliant rifle that never ceases to amaze me with it's potential and accuracy. I hope that your new CZ gives you just as much pleasure as mine does for me!

p.s. It's good to hear that Bilbo is still enjoying himself while taking care of you and keeping you out of mischief!

took the words out of my mouth about the stock that looks a beauty,wish they would factory fit a decent trigger though,tried to zero my hmr with the standard trigger i know everybody says it but i couldn't believe just how bad it was, but with the trigger sorted wow.