Cabinet installation?

adam f

Whilst waiting for my SGC to arrive, I thought I'd better start thinking about where to put my gun cabinet.

I live in a 300yr old listed farmhouse, which whilst it has 2' thick walls, they are a nitemare for fixing into as the interior is generally cob stone, and the rawl bolts just wind out and crumble the stone.

Also all of the rooms are generally used regulary, so wouldnt want a gun cabinet in them.

My two options seem to be 1) Cellar and 2) the loft.

The cellar would be more practical, but the downsides are the security of fixing and the fact it has a ground level vent for airflow, which is quite large - so not sure how secure this would be?

The loft is more secure, but a pig to access and it's pretty cold up there, thinking about condensation etc??

Any suggestions lads?

Edited by adam f

For old brickwork use chemical fixings.

Not sure I understand "Also all of the rooms are generally used regulary, so wouldnt want a gun cabinet in them."

Mine is in my bedroom so it's out of sight of casual visitors and can't be seen from outside but it doesn't cause me a problem having it bolted to a wall in my bedroom. How big a cabinet are you thinking of getting?

Hi mate use THIS just put it into a normal sealent gun, cut some 10mm thread bar to about 120mm, drill a 12mm hole in the wall fill with resin, put in thread bar through holes in cabinate leave to dry then tighten all up job done :good::good:

OK - thanks for the advice.

I guess I thought it best not to have a gun cabinet in a room that regularly has people using it - kind of out of sight, out of mind. There is no room in our room, the other 3 beds are used for guests and kids, and the other rooms are the lounge, dining room, office etc...

I work for a builders merchant so the resin fixings arnt a problem - good to hear they are OK for the FEO to approve.

I used fischer resin with 12mm threaded studs, unbelievably strong within 30mins.. perfect for crumbly walls, just remember to clean out the holes properly before you start injecting the resin. If you're really worried, you could open the drill holes out a little at the back so the resin forms a wedge.

Anyway the feo was very happy :hmm: