What the law with guns not on a sgc

Right guys

I have a friend who has approached me he has a elderly dad who he has discovered a shotgun which is not on shotgun cert .

Can I take this off his hands without and legal problems from the police???

Thanks in advance OTH

Hi OTH

I've taken 3 in no problem at all. Police would much rather have them on the system and an explanatory letter and a chat with your Firearms Officer should do the trick. Not sure what Wilts force is like though?

Hope that helps

Mike

Cheers Mike I will call them monday I am in thames valley police and have had no problem they are great .

The main reason is I do belive that this gun could be of mega value if the description and name is true.

I dont want it to be scrapped I am viewing at the weekend and will keeep you all updated.

Kind regards Simon

Cheers Mike I will call them monday I am in thames valley police and have had no problem they are great .

The main reason is I do belive that this gun could be of mega value if the description and name is true.

I dont want it to be scrapped I am viewing at the weekend and will keeep you all updated.

Kind regards Simon

Hmmmm... didn't find it in an abandoned WWII US bunker did you..... under a Willys Jeep perhaps? :o

:o :o :lol:

Kind regards Simon

Looking forward to the updates.

George

Right guys

I have a friend who has approached me he has a elderly dad who he has discovered a shotgun which is not on shotgun cert .

Can I take this off his hands without and legal problems from the police???

Thanks in advance OTH

a lad who had a shotgun not on a cert handed it to a local gunsmith a few days later he got it back and the gunsmith put it on his cert no probs.

Thames Valley are pretty hopeless but Wiltshire have there heads so far up their **** its unbelievable.

A word with your local RFD can sometimes produce results, but it will need checking and putting on the system, if that fails a call to your own FEO will probably solve this, if not a word with Kidlington!

Remember the story a while back about a man who found a sawn off shotgun that had been thrown over his back fence and took it into a police station. He was arrested, charged with illegal possession and went to court where he was found guilty and received a custodial sentence.

Don't take it to the police, talk to your FEO and let them come and collect it. Also be aware there is no mechanism for giving it back to you. All firearms that are handed in have to be destroyed. The only way you might sidestep this is if the FEO issues you with a temporary permit to take it to a dealer. This only normally happens after a bereavement. Different police, different attitude.

a lad who had a shotgun not on a cert handed it to a local gunsmith a few days later he got it back and the gunsmith put it on his cert no probs.

It's worth a try, especialyy if you know the gunsmithsith. Go and have a talk, ask him what would be the situation if a 'friend' found a gun etc. He should be clued up enough to know what you are talking about. Happens all the time

My FEO thanked me for taking an unlicensed shotty from someone who'd forgotten to renew his ticket. Apparently it's far easier than discovering the shotty in someone's possesion who doesn't have a SGC.

I would always call your FEO first though, as different people have different opinions...