Advice Needed

Albertan_J

Had an early morning over rape tucked away in my hide with a dozen shell deeks out on the springs that make them bob like feeding supposedly. Now when I got down there were literally hundreds of pigeons out feeding on the field yet less then a dozen seemed to take interest in my pattern. Need some help don't know if I got down too late (just after 7) or am I just setting the decoys out badly. I could see them feeding at the opposite side of the field it was the most frustrating morning ever. Help and advice please :angry:

Were you under a flightline or did you just set up were you had seen birds feeding? As one of the pigeon shooting authors said (can't remember who), "look for birds in the air, not on the gound".

Other than that, maybe your hide wasn't great, you were moving too soon or your decoy pattern was unnatural? You don't have to be invisible, but you do have to sit motionless whern there are birds about.

What decoy pattern are you using?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Look for clues. If the pigeons are flying straight over your deeks without any deviation then you are in the wrong place. If they come to the deeks then fly away in an erratic manner, then your hide or your decoys are at fault.

I only use full bodied deeks along with some shells. If all the pattern are full bodied heads up decoys then the pigeons aren't seeing feeding birds. They are seeing wary or unsettled birds. Put the shells out in such a way that some are able rock in the wind, but set low, not too high, it helps to set the peg at an angle, and some right on the ground as though feeding. They should be facing into the wind and arranged in a horseshoe with the open end downwind, on in a loose circle. Not too regimented.

Set the decoys near a flightline or where you have seen pigeons feeding previously. If they settle elsewhere nip out and put a flag where they were feeding. A simple, stick and carrier bag will do.

Edited by UKPoacher

Was given some advice to set the deeks up in a horshose pattern ?? ? Had a couple of floaters out but they seemed to scare the pigeons off if anything. Went down tonight definately wasn't in the flight line but was straight under about half a dosen trees where they went to roost. Have the chance of a lend of a magnet spinner don't know how much difference it will make but will definately be moving up a little higher in the field next weekend. The flag idea is something that I could easily do thanks for the tip :D I'm an avid game shooter but the pigeons are a little of a black art to me so thanks guys !

If you put floaters out make sure they are well at the back of the pattern and the right way up. I don't use them as part of the deek pattern, but place them a few yards back and asymetrial - i.e. not side-by-side and with different rod lengths so they don't do a double act.

You mentioned that they went to roost in the evening. That would explain why you were in the wrong place. Pigeons feed in the morning then go for a drink and a snooze before feeding in the afternoon and finally roosting for the night. You need to find the flight lines at feeding times not bed times.

IMO shells work as well as full bodied, if pigeons spook late in their descent into the pattern, its often because the shooter has moved (anticipating a shot).

When you set out your decoys make sure you leave enough room for the pigeons to land, they will also spook if they suddenly don't see a clear landing space near the decoys.

Time spent watching the fields, the flightlines and pigeons general behaviour is never wasted.

When you arrive to the field and there are plenty of birds feeding, I find it's best to walk them off or even better if you can drive round to lift them, then settle back somewhere and watch to see where they start to come back on that field. Last weekend they were feeding at one end, next weekend they may favour the opposite side! Always best to watch for half hour 45 minutes, this was you'll get an idea what they want to do that particular day.

And as said before, if you find that you have set up in the wrong place, simply move.....

I'm going to make a few more trips down to see if I can figure out the flightlines. Just read where you said about the pigeons flying away from the deeks erratically thats also happened a few times think I might need to invest in some full bodied one.

Full bodied deeks won't necessarily help and might make the matter worse. If the pigeons are coming in nicely and at the last minute decide to fly off and you are still hidden then it's likely to be the deeks that are the problem. If you want to be sure ****** off out of the way and see how pigeons behave when you're not in the hide. I'll bet that you are setting the deeks too high or at the wrong angle. Try putting most of them on the ground and just one or two on sticks, but set just high enough to rock slightly.

You see, you game guns are OK while us raggy lads are finding your birds and driving them over you. There's a lot more to shooting than paying a couple of hundred quid to sit on a shooting stick while we do all the hard work :hmm::good:

Thanks for the tips much appreciated. I have the week to sort out where they are flying and only Sunday to try and put this good advice into action. Few pals wanting to go roost shooting but I can just imagine myself standing under a tree again watching the pigeons fly home just off from me.

I can honestly say that in comparision to having pheasant driven at you or setting the ducks off the pond knowing full well they will be back in 15mins or so pigeon shooting is a lot more interesting to me... If only I could get one close enough to shoot :good:

In this cold wind they will be feeding in the shelter of woods and hedges where possible and might not be in the same place as usual. I had to move a hundred yards up the field yesterday as they were settling in the lee of a wood rather than on the southerly bank where I've had them dropping into the deeks previously.

It made roost shooting easier though as they all headed for the fir trees :D

I've been out the last few afternoons from about 1600 put a few decoys out and have had decent bags noticed that a lot still seem to be flying in flocks mainly ignoring the decoys but getting quite a few coming in two's and three's. Also got set up early on and like over the hill says it was far to early there wasn't a pigeon to be found until after 9

I've been out the last few afternoons from about 1600 put a few decoys out and have had decent bags noticed that a lot still seem to be flying in flocks mainly ignoring the decoys but getting quite a few coming in two's and three's. Also got set up early on and like over the hill says it was far to early there wasn't a pigeon to be found until after 9

We are still finding it worth while first thing on rape but on maize and drilling it is better if we setup at 11am ish :yes: