Pigeon shooting the next stage .

Harnser

The rape on my farms have had a complete transformation since being top dressed about 10 days ago . The warmeer soil temperature and the top dressing has left the rape looking much better . It has fresh young shoots and now looks much greener . It has shot up and you can see it growing if you sit and watch for a liitle while .

At this time of the year it will start to grow very quickly and it wont be to long before its to high for the pigeons to want to hit it as they did when it was short . I am still shooting a few birds on the rape when they decide that they want to feed and I estimate that in a 2 or 3 weeks they will have had enough of feeding the rape .

So whats the next thing they will be wanting to feed on ?. All the spring cereal drillings have been compleated on my farms and the farmer is now drilling suger beet and spuds ,no decoying to be had off these two drilled crops . So , watch out for the birds to start budding in the woods and the hedge rows . They will eat just about any young buds and I have found them to be rather particular to elderberry buds and beech mast , the beech mast being a little bit later on . Dont compleatly ignore your rape as they will allways return to it even when it gets well up . The birds will allways have a go at any young leaf on the bottom of the rape stalk . If you are lucky enough to have peas on your farms then you should be watching the pea fields with baited breath .

When the rape has grown up and tall it will coincided with the cereals growing and starting to get heads of corn on the stalks .Then we will be looking for laid cereals to shoot over , one of the most productive crops to shoot over . Then of course we will run ito harvest time , the pigeon shooters favourite time of the year .

Keep on troshing , Harnser .

Harnser , so you have a few pigeons on the rape now? They have not realy got onto it much all winter in my neck of the woods. just a couple of reasonable bags off rape a 50 and a 60. I spent all morning searching the fields from Holt down to E Dereham and while there were a few small flocks on rape I found nothing worth setting up on. Late in the day i did find a big flock feeding on a stubble . To late to set up , but hopefuly they will be on it in the morning.

Harnser do you mean beech buds not mast :oops: I hope knowbody has planted there peas to early looking at the coming weeks weather forcast??

Regards OTH

They seem to favour the beech buds just as they start to break fromthe tight hard bud to the softer leaf just starting to break out fromthe bud . I have shot many pigeons standing under beech trees at this time of the year or maybe a couple of weeks later on .

Harnser .

Harnser , so you have a few pigeons on the rape now? They have not realy got onto it much all winter in my neck of the woods. just a couple of reasonable bags off rape a 50 and a 60. I spent all morning searching the fields from Holt down to E Dereham and while there were a few small flocks on rape I found nothing worth setting up on. Late in the day i did find a big flock feeding on a stubble . To late to set up , but hopefuly they will be on it in the morning.

Anser 2 , it is proberbly the worst winter rape shooting I can ever remember . I have fields of rape that I have never seen more than a few pigeons on at one time . I have a couple of fields that are still attracting a fair number of birds , but the same old thing , a couple of shots and then they are gone and wont return .

Harnser .

I must be lucky, then. I had a nice day yesterday on some rape near wisbech, finishing with 106. Had only got just over 20 in 3 hours when a move to the other side of the field seemed the only way to start scoring. Got another 80-odd in the next 2 hours.

Seems like 1pm onwards they are really hitting the fields at the moment.

Edited by motty