Heavy rain loads of birds

proTOM1

Today i have spent most of time recconing for the coming few days the weather today has been bad with pritty much none stop rain . I covered just over 120 miles not distance but around and about looking at mainly peas and rape and even with all the rain there was loads of birds flying and feeding ,ive seen them feeding in rain before dont get me wrong but i have never myself or guys taken out had any really good bags . Even the pea drillings were covered and that is not normal as pigeons are not great fans of getting muddy feet . I spotted 3 great spots 2 rape fields with well over 1000 birds on each and a pea field with well over 1500 on .

What i would like to know is how you guys have got on when shooting in rain and what sort of bags you have had ??

:hmm: Tom

Today i have spent most of time recconing for the coming few days the weather today has been bad with pritty much none stop rain . I covered just over 120 miles not distance but around and about looking at mainly peas and rape and even with all the rain there was loads of birds flying and feeding ,ive seen them feeding in rain before dont get me wrong but i have never myself or guys taken out had any really good bags . Even the pea drillings were covered and that is not normal as pigeons are not great fans of getting muddy feet . I spotted 3 great spots 2 rape fields with well over 1000 birds on each and a pea field with well over 1500 on .

What i would like to know is how you guys have got on when shooting in rain and what sort of bags you have had ??

hi tom have found birds feed quite freely in rain but tend to hit the trees when it gets heavy best day in rain for me was 80 birds on a clover field,got 23 today in light rain, good luck

I have only once shot a large bag in hissing rain it was on spring rape in early june right next to the swindon honda plant .

I picked well over 180 lost alot in the high rape but that is the only time but I am a dry weather shooter like I am on the bike.

I had just had a cracking roost shoot with a very strong west wind blowing and shot until 1930hrs.

I love it when the clocks go forward gives you a chance in the afternoon.

:no: Tom

Hi.I have found if it is also a windy day and the rain squalls come and go it can be great in the 'lulls' between the rain.If it is raining heavily though they hit the trees and stay there.It also seems that once scared off they do not return,probably because they do not move around nearly as much.I guess flying at 30 mph+ and having water smash in your eyes is a good enough reason to go and seek shelter! Pigeons do need to eat though and after heavy rain they are often hungry and will hit food as soon as gaps permit.

A full on hissing it down day is unlikely to get a good bag.A heavy showers day with gaps can be good though and I have certainly had 100+ days on the latter.

ATB.

As long as you stay dry and comfortable there is no problem shooting in the rain. Although you will notice that nothing much moves when it is at its heaviest, in the lulls in the weather the shooting can be quite frantic.

Take a good umbrella with you, fishing type in green is the best, but i have had a good day sat under a sliver and blue unbrella which i found. I think the umbrella even helps a bit because is masks you movements from above completely so you are not half shooting birds that are not committed. you only really see and shoot at birds that are comitted in the pattern.

once went to scotland wi me old fella goose and pheashant shooting about 20 years ago got an invite to go back and do the crows and pigeons on spring drillings we went back and struggled to make a decent bag for 2 days as weather was :lol: but 3rd day we found a field full of pigeons on closer inspection it was full of stones very rocky ground we shot 94 lost a few but just to hit on what yer said and me old fella has always said they dont like to get the pegs balled up wi mud. :blink:

Had 2 guns out today with one bag of 172 for 370 shots and another of 86 for 191 shots.

That makes 446 for 1204 shots over 2 days of shooting.

My chiller is full!!!!

4484292379_ab7dd3cf46.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice 1 mark ive had 225 in 2 days and had 329 from 3 clients during the week 2 guys had 113 on rape for over 300 shots chiller getting full again tho dealer comes every monday :good:

Edited by proTOM1

As long as you stay dry and comfortable there is no problem shooting in the rain. Although you will notice that nothing much moves when it is at its heaviest, in the lulls in the weather the shooting can be quite frantic.

Take a good umbrella with you, fishing type in green is the best, but i have had a good day sat under a sliver and blue unbrella which i found. I think the umbrella even helps a bit because is masks you movements from above completely so you are not half shooting birds that are not committed. you only really see and shoot at birds that are comitted in the pattern.

camo tarp is best and cheap, works well in the rain

KW

http://www.tarpaulins-togo.co.uk/product-1....4m-x-3.0m.html