out lamping

albob

went out lamping on my own about 9.30pm and as security lights were on,so it is not easy to get close to rabbits,on the start of the permission..walk halfway round and spot a few rabbits but,no shot.

so i get to the top end,spot a rabbit a good way from the road.that runs along the edge of this part of the shoot.so i get to a high point to take a safe shot and then..der der der der and flashing lights and sirens.rabbit ******* off in a panic and the police car stops on the road at a house along this particular road so i get up and more show up,flashing lights,no sirens.so i continue to lamp and then as i wander away i see the cop car go along the road and look long the edge of the shoot.

i watch for a bit and then wander further away to continue to lamp and do not see a rabbit anywhere.

next thing i hear the sound of a helicopter and i thought,oh dear.it flies above me and i carry on lamping and next they put the search light on in fields near me,so at this stage i get a bit worried,so i wander towards the police parked up and then i remove the mag and bolt and unchambered the bullet.

i hid the gun in the hedge and make my way to the police cars parked up.i took the lamping backpack with me,as it has my fac and permissions within it.

i then approached them and told them i was lamping and wanted to make myself known to them and not to be classed as being involved in what was going on and i explain what i was doing and was they looking in the edge for someone or me with the lamp.they said they seen the lamp and was wondering what or who it was.i shown my permission letter and my fac.they took details etc and were happy with what i had told them.

they asked if i had got anything and i told them no,as the racket had scared all the rabbits off and i was going to tell the greenkeeper that it was their fault i got nothing,they laughed at that.

seems that someone had broken into house locally and stole some firearms,so the policeman said it was good that i had made myself known,because if the helicopter had spotted me with a firearm on me,it may have been a different story.

i did think about not approaching them but,as it turns out it was the best thing to do.

never had this happen before and i feel very sorry for the gun owners who must be frantic with worry with this happening.

i did see a couple of young bunnies but,i seemed to have lost interest on the way back to my car and thought they will be their another day.

hopefully have a quieter night on saturday.

al

been shooting there for 2 years,seen poachers once and then this,so not to bad really.

new to me to and it may help if it ever happens again(but i hope it never does)

it is a posh area and very few houses.i think the police handled it well and were very good with me.no looking at you like you have done something wrong,common sense attitude and the fact that i came foward helped.

i did not ask what was going on,they gave that info freely after they knew more about me and was satisfied with my reasoning.

funny thing was,i put my hand in my pocket and said,oops,i still had ammo in the mag and then empted it without taking it out of my pocket. :good:

al

Hello Mate when i used to go lamping i always told the landowners first so they new who was out and about :yes: Also you might be best just ringing the police telling them where you are then if any busy body rings them up they no your out their :good::yes:

unfortunally now adays people with mobile phones are quick to drop you in it :hmm: it also shows people you are responsiable and careful about what you are doing after one situition with a landowner going to ring police she ended asking me to sort her rabbits out :yes: people like to Know who is :oops: out their on their land.

Hello Mate when i used to go lamping i always told the landowners first so they new who was out and about :lol: Also you might be best just ringing the police telling them where you are then if any busy body rings them up they no your out their :no: :no:

unfortunally now adays people with mobile phones are quick to drop you in it :( it also shows people you are responsiable and careful about what you are doing after one situition with a landowner going to ring police she ended asking me to sort her rabbits out :lol: people like to Know who is :lol: out their on their land.

i would do that if it was a regular thing but,thankfully it is rare and no need,as most have said,they will turn up regardless if it involved firearms.

i let the greenkeeper know what days or nights i`m going on and i ring some days later to let him know what i have or have not shot,as he then informs the members(golfclub),which i suppose justifies me shooting on there.

wesman,whenever your ready let me know,few rabbits showing and some young ones about to.

you want a hmr..no idea why? :lol::lol:

dekers,you are correct,it does make you feel guilty,even though you actually know that you are legally doing the shooting.

al

Edited by albob

Sounds like an interesting evening Al! And I bet it was that same rabbit that's evaded you before :no: Glad it didn't end up turning into a nightmare.

hi matey, :no: i think they have decided to show now but,only when they hear an helicopter.. :lol:

will arrange another trip sometime,as you shot my only rabbit,i need a few more.

atb

al

went out lamping on my own about 9.30pm and as security lights were on,so it is not easy to get close to rabbits,on the start of the permission..walk halfway round and spot a few rabbits but,no shot.

so i get to the top end,spot a rabbit a good way from the road.that runs along the edge of this part of the shoot.so i get to a high point to take a safe shot and then..der der der der and flashing lights and sirens.rabbit ******* off in a panic and the police car stops on the road at a house along this particular road so i get up and more show up,flashing lights,no sirens.so i continue to lamp and then as i wander away i see the cop car go along the road and look long the edge of the shoot.

i watch for a bit and then wander further away to continue to lamp and do not see a rabbit anywhere.

next thing i hear the sound of a helicopter and i thought,oh dear.it flies above me and i carry on lamping and next they put the search light on in fields near me,so at this stage i get a bit worried,so i wander towards the police parked up and then i remove the mag and bolt and unchambered the bullet.

i hid the gun in the hedge and make my way to the police cars parked up.i took the lamping backpack with me,as it has my fac and permissions within it.

i then approached them and told them i was lamping and wanted to make myself known to them and not to be classed as being involved in what was going on and i explain what i was doing and was they looking in the edge for someone or me with the lamp.they said they seen the lamp and was wondering what or who it was.i shown my permission letter and my fac.they took details etc and were happy with what i had told them.

they asked if i had got anything and i told them no,as the racket had scared all the rabbits off and i was going to tell the greenkeeper that it was their fault i got nothing,they laughed at that.

seems that someone had broken into house locally and stole some firearms,so the policeman said it was good that i had made myself known,because if the helicopter had spotted me with a firearm on me,it may have been a different story.

i did think about not approaching them but,as it turns out it was the best thing to do.

never had this happen before and i feel very sorry for the gun owners who must be frantic with worry with this happening.

i did see a couple of young bunnies but,i seemed to have lost interest on the way back to my car and thought they will be their another day.

hopefully have a quieter night on saturday.

al

Why hide your gun when you have done nothing wrong :yes:? :good:

Why hide your gun when you have done nothing wrong :yes:? :good:

i had to cross a country road and my gunslip was a long walk back..illegal to do without gunslip,so more sense to hide it in the edge and walkers have been known to walk along this edge at night and so common sense was the order of the day.

al

i had to cross a country road and my gunslip was a long walk back..illegal to do without gunslip,so more sense to hide it in the edge and walkers have been known to walk along this edge at night and so common sense was the order of the day.

al

Hu Guys its Easier to ring your local police and put your name down on the shooting log letting the police know where you are, your name, Car reg. what time starting shooting, and ring them again when you have finished. Then they will take you of the shooting log.

Regards Gary

Hu Guys its Easier to ring your local police and put your name down on the shooting log letting the police know where you are, your name, Car reg. what time starting shooting, and ring them again when you have finished. Then they will take you of the shooting log.

Regards Gary

as stated before . ringing them will have no effect ,as i shoot near manchester airport,so they will still come out if it involves firearms,which it did in this case.

if i rang them,friday,saturday,sunday and monday night this weekend,they would soon be fed up of me,as i shoot a lot and on average 3 times a week.

it may suit some but,many consider it another big brother thing to contend with for shooters but,eash to their own.

al