A Waesel and a Fox Squeeker!

I was out yesterday evening getting ready for a hunt about for Charlie (Which was unfruitful). This obviously meant that I had a couple of Fox Callers with me as well as my Mirror and Polystyrene. I was waling along a wall line (Towards where I know that there is an inhabited foxes earth) and was getting close to a rabbit burrow when I caught a bit of movement in the corner of my eye. I stopped dead and froze on the spot, puzzled by what it was that I had seen. When I looked more carefully I noticed that there was a small weasel making its way along and in and out of the wall towards the burrow. This gave me an idea as I was in a bit of a "devilish mood"! Could I call the weasel towards me using the mirror and polystyrene? I settled back quietly with my back against the wall sitting on my rucksack and gave a quick squeek on the mirror. Right enough the little weasel came running back out of the hole it had gone into and sat up on its back legs searching for whatever had made the squeeking noise. After a few seconds the weasel decided to go back in to the burrow so again I gave it a quick squeek, and again the weasel came out to try to find out what it was. This went on for about 10 minutes in all with me getting the weasel to within about 10 feet fro me at one time. Even though I had my gun with me I decided not to attempt to shoot the little pest as it had given me such great entertainment. It must have been quite frustrating for the little weasel, thinking it was onto an esay meal, but very entertaining for me!

It's little things like this which make going out in the country so worthwhile!

I'm glad you didn't shoot it and just enjoyed the moment

Bill

I really don't think there would have been any point in shooting the little chap nor do I think I would have got any satisfaction out of shooting it anyway, he wasn't doing any harm to anyone (Except maybe the rabbits). As it was I got a lot of pleasure out of winding the little critter up, it was quite amusing seeing the puzzled look on it's face every time I squeeked it out! I'm quite annoying with things like that, especially when they make me laugh, and this little chap was very entertaining, I hope our paths cross again one day when I have a camcorder handy!

cracking story frenchie and i like the way you dealt with it,by choosing not to shoot.

shooting is not all about killing things,as you have shown and you can see some marvelous things that mother nature allows us to see.

i have only ever seen one and that was a quick look,good to see even in such a short glance at it.

al

Thanks albob!

The way that I see it is that there is a much bigger picture to shooting than just pointing a gun at every legitimate target that gets up in front of you. To me the real pleasure is being out there close to and trying to understand mother nature and enjoying what she has to show you. The taking of the shot and a (Hopefully) getting a clean kill are just an added bonus to me! Having said that I am not saying that we should all walk around with our guns but not shoot at all, it's just that there are times now and then when there is more pleasure to be gained by not taking the shot!

There have been many occasions when I have had a good safe shot offered to me but not taken it because it would have disturbed something more interesting that I was watching, and I wouldn't want to change that for anything!

Very interesting story frenchie, you'ra a very lucky man, I have never had the pleasure of seeing a weasel myself.

I did see a mink once whilst out pigeon shooting, which met its maker, but never a weasel.

Would love to see one.

All the best,

Sam :good:

I see stoats and weasels all the time on my farms . Wonderful little creatures that do no harm whatsoever . I would never dream of shooting one . Saw my first ermine stoat this winter , it made my day . I suppose there are keepers out there who will say that stoats and weasels are devastating the wild life in the country side and when they have killed all the game birds the little ******* will start on the deer .

Harnser .

I see stoats and weasels all the time on my farms . Wonderful little creatures that do no harm whatsoever . I would never dream of shooting one . Saw my first ermine stoat this winter , it made my day . I suppose there are keepers out there who will say that stoats and weasels are devastating the wild life in the country side and when they have killed all the game birds the little ******* will start on the deer .

Harnser .

You obviously have never saw first hand the devastation the little critters can do in a Pheasant pen. Great story Frenchie and unless they were in close proximity to my pheasant pen I wouldn't shoot them either, as I think they are remarkable little creatures.

You obviously have never saw first hand the devastation the little critters can do in a Pheasant pen. Great story Frenchie and unless they were in close proximity to my pheasant pen I wouldn't shoot them either, as I think they are remarkable little creatures.

I am inclined to agree with you here Ollie! It does all depends on situations, locations and circumstances. If the farmer had been finding dead chickens that looked like they had been "got at" by these little pests or if it were in an area where any game birds were reared then he almost certainly would have hed to go, but as it was none of these circumstances came into play in this case so there was no threat and he was doing no harm. Had it have been a Mink there would have been no question about it, I would not have given putting a bullet straight through it's head there and then a second thought!

I do fully realise that Weasels and Stoats can be very efficient little killers if they are given the right opportunities and in the right locations (Particularly around game bird breeding and rearing pens) just like and other "vermin" can be. This is where some of us sometimes "walk a tight line" when we have to decide on the difference between "shooting to control the vermin" and "shooting just for the pleasure of it", and it can be a very very tight line at times with just a few short seconds to make a decision as to whether to shoot or not! Like I have said before, "There is more to the overall picture of shooting than just pointing the gun and pulling the trigger" and some situations need a different line of thought!