Anyone seen any Cubs yet

pavman

Just to add to my previous post I was out yesterday and managed to get yet another 270 acres (Aprox) of permission and while being shown the land boundaries I spotted two earths, both of with cubs that I saw out!

The farmer has requested that I "sort out" this problem when I feel it is right to do so but preferably before he loses any of his free range poultry. The cubs seem quite well developed so it should not be too long before they become "legitimate targets". I would rather wait till the cubs are weaned than chance taking out the parents and having to use terriers for the cubs, but at least the "terrier man" would be a practical and humane option if I had to use him (Which I would rather not)!

Just as a foot note please do not come back at me with remarks like "The only good fox is a dead fox"! Even though I would have to agree with you (to a certain extent) you would also have to agree that things have to be done in as humane a way as possible and I will not knowingly leave suckling cubs below ground to starve to death if my "terrier man" is not going to be available straight away!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Hope you have found where she's moved them as they won't be in the same place :big_boss:

You're right there Rob. We were sat up @ 150 yards from the earth which is in a banking full of bramble bushes. We got the 3 cubs and I'm sure that there is only one cub left. I'd rather have got the vixen first but she was nowhere to be seen. There are a couple of dogfoxes hunting in the area so will get them and hopefully the vixen will have to get herself out hunting with the remaining cub. Unfortunate but there was no way we were going to get them the other night.

have left the cubs out in case she does hang around but it's unlikely.

Frenchieboy, if you're seeing cubs outside then they are legitimate targets. Go for the vixen first. The cubs will come to her and you can get them as well. They're not wise enough yet to sense the danger, they just want their mother for a feed. I shot a vixen last year and left her out. The following day her teat area had been well sucked at. I got the cubs that night and the following night.

Hope you have found where she's moved them as they won't be in the same place :P

they where still there mate there where 3 together fighting and rolling around but. thought i would wate for the vixen but that didnt pay off :big_boss: looks like another trip to the farm tonight dam..lol

they where still there mate there where 3 together fighting and rolling around but. thought i would wate for the vixen but that didnt pay off :big_boss: looks like another trip to the farm tonight dam..lol

Fair do :P you've been lucky then in my book :D

Frenchieboy, if you're seeing cubs outside then they are legitimate targets. Go for the vixen first. The cubs will come to her and you can get them as well. They're not wise enough yet to sense the danger, they just want their mother for a feed. I shot a vixen last year and left her out. The following day her teat area had been well sucked at. I got the cubs that night and the following night.

Fairdoes Mate! I have one earth where the farmer phoned me last night and has told me there is a vixen and 5 cubs that can be seen out during the day which offers me a good vantage/shooting point with a perfect backstop so I will give it a go at that earth and see how I get on. Do you find that the cubs will go to her more during the day time or the night time, or both please? It would be good if the job could be done within sensible hours as I need my "beauty sleep" (Possibly more than most others, some might say :lol: )!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Fairdoes Mate! I have one earth where the farmer phoned me last night and has told me there is a vixen and 5 cubs that can be seen out during the day which offers me a good vantage/shooting point with a perfect backstop so I will give it a go at that earth and see how I get on. Do you find that the cubs will go to her more during the day time or the night time, or both please? It would be good if the job could be done within sensible hours as I need my "beauty sleep" (Possibly more than most others, some might say :lol: )!

Shell be finding food for them and bringing it back. The ones near me were playing and laying in semi cover sleeping until she got back. They'll go to her whenever there's food on the menu and for a drink. if they're playing out in the open, watch for the vixen she won't be far away.