bipolar

Bipolar

This question might have been asked already if so I'm sorry for asking again!

My wife and I have recently applied for our first Certificates and on the forms it asks for details of nervous disorders. Both of us have in the past suffered with work related stress and seen the GP about this recived treatment, we were never suicidal or contemplated any self harm or harm to others, we are now having second thoughts about applying as £100 is a bit too much to lose on two failed applications, we both enjoy shooting clays and the club we go to is one of the best in the country, we are taking lessons from former Olympic shooters and feel that we are progressing to the point that we wish to have our own guns to enable us to advance further, has anyone else had problems like this?

I was on anti depressents before i had my FAC, i already had my Shotgun cert. I notified them on my application for my FAC, and didn't have any problems. As long as your not a risk to the general public ie: no threating behaviour or domestic violence.

Stress from work is more common than we are lead to believe. Would be very surprised if you encounter any problems, if you are a member of the BASC give the firearms division a ring to help clarify things :thumbs:

Thought that if they didn't issue your certificates you got your money back, not 100% about it though

A suggested format for a letter to your Doctor

Dear Doctor..............

I am in the process of applying for the grant/renewal of my Firearms/shotgun certificate and it is now a requirement that i give the name and address of my Doctor.

It is possible that the police may contact you and ask you to provide factual details of my medical history.The Home office has advised that this is all they may ask and that is all they have my signed authority for. They may under no circumstances have access to my medical records nor are they to ask you for an opinion on my suitability to posses firearms.

The Home Office has also said that the police should only need to contact Doctors where there are genuine concerns about an applicant's health and that if there is a charge for supplying the information it must be paid for by the police.There is, however no legal requirement for a Doctor to provide police with information.

Any request to you from the police will inevitably concern confidential, privieged and personal information.I would therefore be most grateful if you would copy to me any report before you send it to the police and also keep me informed of the details of any other contact you may have with them concerning my application.

Yours Sincerley

This was from the BASC

I am in a similar position and when I contacted the BASC they said much the same,however this particular ***has taken it on as a personal quest and it seems that I won`t have the f/a or s/g certs in time for the renewal dates,so I am arranging to have my rifles and 2 shotty`s go into storage.

Will keep you informed.

Henry D

If you already have an FAC/SGC you do not have to put your guns into storage, they should issue you with a temporary license, to keep you within the confines of the law. It is up to them to get your tickets back to you within time, because the hold up is with them and not you.

Talk to the BASC again to clarify matters

henry d,

Just had my renewal for my FAC, nearly 6 weeks over due. I went personaly to the HQ-Firearms Dept, & got a temp Cert, for a year believe it or not.

If you don't have a Temp Cert you cannot use your guns until you receive your license back, but you certainly don't have to put them in storage.

Bazooka Joe :thumbs:

Apparently I can apply for a section 7 but that means I can keep the guns at home but not use them,and as ex-plod FEO is on holiday :< and that means he can`t get my renewal done til the end of the month.

BASC have been very supportive and say they will come to any meetings with the boys in blue.

The FEO has seen my doctor and is now saying he wants to speak to her again which is a bit sus,as if i were a threat then he should have taken them straight away,so it is my assumption that "they" are trying to upset people and cause problems to make them think it not worthwhile to renew.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION !