Lndrover Freelander

DorsetJasper

don't attack me :good: but i thought the 1.8 petrol engines are prone to head gasket failure?

and they fall to bits :good:

just tighten it all every now and then with the end of a spoon :good:

my mum had a 1.9d, and I loved it. Say what you like about the build quality, it was a far nicer place to be than the cheap plasticy interior of the x-trail that replaced it

not sure about petrol though, mightn't be powerful enough :good:

don't attack me :good: but i thought the 1.8 petrol engines are prone to head gasket failure?

Yep 'K' series engine, likes a new head gasket every 40-50,000 miles, plus propshafts fail regularly, some dealer (stealer's?) will remove the prop :good: rendering it front wheel drive only :good: always have a look to see it's there, then try turning tight full right lock corners on a gravel surface with your window open, if the prop has gone (viscous coupling seized) the rear inside wheel will try to spin as too much drive is put to the rear :good: :good:

Edited by Paul223

The Freelander has 3 main drivetrain problems areas, the Intermediate Reduction Drive (IRD), Viscous Coupling (VC) and the rear differential.

The reason for this is the front wheels on the Freelander are driven faster than the rear wheels so it handles well, like a front wheel drive car. To accommodate this ratio difference, a VC is fitted inline with the rear propshaft which thus is constantly slipping.

On the earlier models this ratio difference was too great resulting in the viscous coupling working overtime and failing by siezing solid. When the viscous coupling is too tight or seized solid the front tyres are fighting the rears as the transmission is "winding up", initially this just wears the tyres (causing a "saw tooth" effect) but it also puts increased load on the IRD and rear diff as they are fighting each other causing rapid wear on both and ultimately failure of one or both.

from "ashcroft transmissions"

+the engine issue of course, but I would expect that most have had the gasket upgraded by now

MY mum has a 52 td4, it hasnt been as bad as some of thr horror stories i have read (touch wood) the viscous coupling packed up and the slave cylinder?(i think it was) in the clutch packed up about 3yrs ago, but it hasnt been too bad other than that :good:

Im looking at a new 4x4 for the wife and she likes the look of the Freelander.

Im looking at a 2002 Freelander Kalahari 1.8 manual petrol.

Has anyone got any knowledge or info on these?

Any help would be appreciated :good:

i would leave the petrol one's alone,i have a TD4 55 Plate ADVENTURER and the Land Rover main dealer[Mike-nice fella]told me to leave the petrol one's alone.my mate Darren bought himself a petrol one and he swopped it sharpish because of the fuel costs to a diesel.go for a TD4 and you should be ok------Dave

i had a petrol one,head gasket went twice in 2 years,pt exed it agaisnt a td4,and untill last month had no troubles,then clutch and cylinders went,costing 771 quid to fix,then transfer box went costing another 360 quid (which was really cheap),i wont buy another freelander i know. :good:

Don't get the petrol.

I have 2001 TD4 and love it. its got the MBW engine and it gets everywhere i want to go around the farm and is comfy on the road. had it 3 years and the only thing thats gone wrong is the mass air flow meter which i fixed myself for £50.

It has its critics, but I'm not selling mine till it dies on me (which will probably be next week now I've said that! :good: )

Bigt

Don't get the petrol.

I have 2001 TD4 and love it. its got the MBW engine and it gets everywhere i want to go around the farm and is comfy on the road. had it 3 years and the only thing thats gone wrong is the mass air flow meter which i fixed myself for £50.

It has its critics, but I'm not selling mine till it dies on me (which will probably be next week now I've said that! :good: )

Bigt

yeah ,that was my philosphy,,,till it cost me nealry 1500 quid in a few weeks,good engines mind,just **** made lol.

The Freelander has 3 main drivetrain problems areas, the Intermediate Reduction Drive (IRD), Viscous Coupling (VC) and the rear differential.

You missed out the clutch. I went through 2 in 10,000 miles, LR admitted it was a problem they were trying to keep quiet. Once it was out of warranty it was traded in, pronto!