AAs410, first outing on Rabbits

joeshaw08

I've been wanting to buy a new air rifle for a while now, and I finally got down the gun shop and purchased my new baby - the s410, and have not been disappointed! It literally is hole for hole accuracy, it's nice and light and almost completely silent, a hell of a difference to the spring loaded air rifles that i've had in the past...I couldnt believe the difference! So I thought I'd take it out for a spin, lamping the bunnies.

I managed 4 last night, could have been more if I could shoot straight standing up. (must get a bipod!) I was very happy with the accuracy, however as I was using the lamp I could see the path of the pellet and where it made contact with the rabbits. One thing I did find, which happened a few times, was that the bunnies seemed to dodge the pellets. They'd obviously heard the shot and ran off before the pellet hit. Does anybody else find this, or is the gun not putting out enough ft/lbs? I know Air Arms manufacture all there guns to about 11.6, but it doesn't seem right that the bunnies are managing to dodge my shots!

Apart from the odd few lighting fast rabbits, the others went down beautifully without a fuss.

ive got my eye on a s410, how much did you give for yours, i had one sold it for £425 with scope and dive bottle about 3yrs ago to a friend, wish i still had it, anyway my brother inlaw has got one and he let it slip the other week he dont use it much.. not to sure what there fetching nowdays..

ive got my eye on a s410, how much did you give for yours, i had one sold it for £425 with scope and dive bottle about 3yrs ago to a friend, wish i still had it, anyway my brother inlaw has got one and he let it slip the other week he dont use it much.. not to sure what there fetching nowdays..

I picked it up brand new for £530 which came with a hawke scope, but I had to buy a moderator and 3 litre diving bottle on top of that so it was about £800 in total. They're not cheap but it's worth every penny.

Fab guns the s410, mine have taken loads of bunnies. With the pellet dodging thing, they will be jumping away as your pellet misses close by or and they are seeing a last minute movement from you imo. In the time it takes for the pellet to leave the muzzle and arrive at its destination assuming your are inside 40 yards there is no way they are quick enough to "dodge" the pellet. Unless of course they have had martial arts training! Seriously, pellet just behind the eye and its all over before they have time to think about anything. Interestingly theres an article in one of the mags that suggests the base of the ear as it deals with the brain stem. Instant result either way imo.

On the power, mine is putting out 10.5lbs. Its deadly. People get hung up on with power issues. 10+ has enough energy to kill rabbits with a head shot out to 60 yards. Its accuracy that lets the shot down.

Good result for a first outing Joe. :good:;)

I will be the first to ask, .177 or .22?

Edited by turbo33

Nice guns the AA's. I have an S400 Xtra and love it to bits. Definitely worth getting a bipod and for a bit of fun, try putting a dab of tippex in the back of the pellet. You'll see the pellet fly then under the lamp, people are usually surprised at the angle their barrel is actually pointing up at when they take what looks like a straight shot off a bipod while prone.

Thought it was .22. You can see the pellet through the scope more easily than .177 as its slower and larger. No problem with that, look at this for how effective a .22 is. You can see the pellet curve into the target on several clips if you look closely. Should give you plenty of confidence in your rifle, just practice learning the aim points. :good:

I would seriously doubt that ,at normal ranges, any rabbit not nuclear powered could deliberatly dodge a pellet.If it were feasible i think you would have to be at maximum range with an un-moderated .22 gun and a rabbit allready in a spooked condition-i.e. coiled like a spring.Not being argumentative but somethings not quite right-practice your ability to judge range- hard enough during the day let alone in darkness. :good:

Got mine for £300 with stirup pump .177 about a year ago,from a friend so Im guessing MATES RATES. Just bought another one .22 couple of weeks back for £400. LOOOOOVEEEE these guns........... ;)

Edited by KANO

Just sold my AA S410 .177 for £450 :big_boss: ,had some great fun,accurate,powerfull,double bunnies :P .

First of all,well done for buying one of the best airrifles out there,you should join the air arms owners club (aaoc),you will gte lots of advice and answer to your questions,dont worry about the power it will increase after a 1000 pellets,find the sweet point of the rifle and dont bother filling past this point as it will make no difference to the power,mine was between 100-150 bar :D best pellets i found were rws superfields.

Hope this helps

ATB

Karl

mine is putting out 10.5lbs. Its deadly. People get hung up on with power issues.

Quite right. So many air gunners put a pellet through a chrono and go straight to ft/lbs and are shocked to see 10.3 10.4 10.5. As long as you are under the magic 12ft/lbs and legal disregard it and look at the fps. 740 to 760 fps is ideal. Personally I think the law should be changed where ft/lbs are concerned, a ruling of 750 fps for air guns. Easily reached with a .177 at about 10.5 but nowhere near for a .22.

( just my opinion fellas )

I've been wanting to buy a new air rifle for a while now, and I finally got down the gun shop and purchased my new baby - the s410, and have not been disappointed! It literally is hole for hole accuracy, it's nice and light and almost completely silent, a hell of a difference to the spring loaded air rifles that i've had in the past...I couldnt believe the difference! So I thought I'd take it out for a spin, lamping the bunnies.

I managed 4 last night, could have been more if I could shoot straight standing up. (must get a bipod!) I was very happy with the accuracy, however as I was using the lamp I could see the path of the pellet and where it made contact with the rabbits. One thing I did find, which happened a few times, was that the bunnies seemed to dodge the pellets. They'd obviously heard the shot and ran off before the pellet hit. Does anybody else find this, or is the gun not putting out enough ft/lbs? I know Air Arms manufacture all there guns to about 11.6, but it doesn't seem right that the bunnies are managing to dodge my shots!

Apart from the odd few lighting fast rabbits, the others went down beautifully without a fuss.

Edited by gixxerboy