help dont know what to do.

chris o

hi everyone. been looking at some dogs today.

first litter were labs 3 black and golden dame if that how you spell it was irish ftch and irish kennel club regd and her father was 3 times irish ftch and 2nd.

father kc regd with drakes head blood lines the pups were gorjes unfortunatly it was a litter of 6 but last week a fox took one this is what said so they are housed outside and are currently 3 weeks old selling for 200 but the one i fancy is guna be 180 as mr charlie that took one of them bit the tail off the little fella they are from working parents who are worked regulary and he showed me how they worked in front of me in his farm yard and they worked extremly well.

the second litter ess with ftch and ftw in the blood lines again working stock parents at 3 and half week old litter of 7 black and white and liver and white again the owner showed me them work and god they were good and the pups were absolutly lovely.

the third litter more ess but these are 1 week old a litter of 4 was a accidental breed as both the guys bitches went on heat very close to each other and the dog couldnt help him self the breeders words not mine the dame was absolutly gorjes good hard worker with a really sweet face on her.

but as i am on my first dog so far who is 8 and half - 9 month old should i bother getting one my intension was to get another dog to keep him company and play with and was wanting either partly trainned or fully trainned dog. but then thought well if i get another pup the dog i have now will almost be ready for the field and the pup nearly ready for trainning.

what do you guys think i should do? i am really torn about this. if any of you guys can help me please give me advice. i dont want to do any thing stupid thats why i am asking.

Chris,

To be honest, I'd finish off your 8 1/2 month old before taking on another Pup.

The reasons for this are :-

1, It is much easier to focus on 1 Pup at a time and do a proper job of training them.

2, If you get a second dog the chances are you'll let the training on the first dog drop off.

3, This means that your new pup will be learning from an older "Unfinished" dog and is likely to take on the bad habits which may occur with the first dog.

4, With 2 dogs at similar ages -things are great whilst young, But you need to think about the future - and 2 Old dogs will leave you in a position where Vets bills will become expensive and you will be unable to work either dog on a shoot for age reasons.

5, If you leave purchase of a new Pup for a year or two the impact of the reasons given above wil be less.

I hope this gives you some "Food for thought" and weish you all the best for the future.

Pete

My lab bitch is just gone 1 year old and I have put off having a pup until she is older and better trained :oops: Will prob wait until she is ATLEAST 2 before I get another one! Dont rush it mate, having a naughty untrained older dog will just make your pup naughty aswell and then you end up with 2 naughty dogs. and its a nightmare trying to get a youngish dog to be obedient when theres a young pup about cos they just want to go off and play with the pup, when there older they not that bothered with playing as much and are easier to work with :oops:

Chris,

To be honest, I'd finish off your 8 1/2 month old before taking on another Pup.

The reasons for this are :-

1, It is much easier to focus on 1 Pup at a time and do a proper job of training them.

2, If you get a second dog the chances are you'll let the training on the first dog drop off.

3, This means that your new pup will be learning from an older "Unfinished" dog and is likely to take on the bad habits which may occur with the first dog.

4, With 2 dogs at similar ages -things are great whilst young, But you need to think about the future - and 2 Old dogs will leave you in a position where Vets bills will become expensive and you will be unable to work either dog on a shoot for age reasons.

5, If you leave purchase of a new Pup for a year or two the impact of the reasons given above wil be less.

I hope this gives you some "Food for thought" and weish you all the best for the future.

Pete

6. From what you have previously posted you don't really know what you are doing with one dog and given the domestic circumstances you have yourself outlined, I would think that one dog is quite enough at the moment.

i have a 18 month old springer bitch , her training WAS coming on well ???

i went out and bought another springer bitch pup ??? , for the reason that i wanted a work in progress as it takes 2 to 2.5 years to train one , now i wish i had waited at least another 6 months :good:

all they want to do is **** about together ??? , so i,d wait if i was you mate

hi all i have decided to wait till next year i have spoke with the breeder and we have agreed that i can pay a deposit and get first pick of the litter next year.

and davecooper no not from bob hardmans it was a couple in Leigh near the grey hound hotel. i am just glad i have found a good breeder who works the dogs every day whether it be during the season or pigeon and rabbits.

thanks for all your advice it realy helped me make my mind up and prevented any problems as one of you kindly pointed out about my domestic situation and the previose posts and thinks i dont have a clue you are right to some degree that is why i ask questions in posts that i put up i know little bits since owning a dog i have learned a lot since i first got my dog and will not be making the same mistakes again with thanks to people like wgd and others who pointed me in the right direction with lots of help and advice which has really help bring me and the dogs training on so far and i have had no issues since all the great advice i have recieved. as far as the domestic situation goes i have told the mother in law not to bother coming round if she has a problem and proved to her it is not cruel as i had the R.S.P.C.A come out and check the dog the living enviroment and asked them to right a letter to say he is fine and he is housed in a perfectly fine safe and suitable kennel and run even though it does look pretty naff it is fine.