Suzuki Grand Vitara LPG

fortune82

Seeing as the price of fuel is going one way only I am toying with the idea of either getting rid of my 55 reg Grand Vitara in favour of a diesel car or getting the vitara put on LPG. Has anyone any experience of this? I have been told it will need flash lube fitting to stop valve seat recession. What sort of MPG would I expect in the real world, ie is 80% of petrol accurate?

Thanks for any ideas!

Seeing as the price of fuel is going one way only I am toying with the idea of either getting rid of my 55 reg Grand Vitara in favour of a diesel car or getting the vitara put on LPG. Has anyone any experience of this? I have been told it will need flash lube fitting to stop valve seat recession. What sort of MPG would I expect in the real world, ie is 80% of petrol accurate?

Thanks for any ideas!

I converted my American motorhome to LPG, cost me £1300.

MPG went from 10 to 20. (it's not the mpg that changes it's the equivelant cost) LPG was 53per ltr.

I didn't do enough miles during my ownership to recover the cost of fitting but it was easier to sell.

Not sure what you'll gain as I don't know your MPG, on a 55 plate you might not need Flash lube, I did but mine was an '85 Chevvy.

I suppose it depends on your annual mileage - Petrol Vs Deisel.

My Disco does 25mpg , 300TDI, maybe a little better if I drive every where at 50.

Bloke at work had a V8 classic range rover on LPG and it did 12MPG on the gas. My disco 300TDi did 30MPG on the derv. so it was actually cheaper to run.

Buy an LPG converted one already, its not worth spending out to do it yourself unless you're going to do big mileage in order to cover the initial outlay!

I drive a Citroen Despatch 2.0 LPG van for work and i can never get more than 23mpg.Obviously the savings for the company i work for on the whole will be good long term because gas is 68p a litre and they run several hundred vehicles covering thousands of miles per week.I think you'd have to drive yours for a few years on cheap LPG to break even on the installation cost.I also find that when running on gas it reduces power.

much the same as Imperfection here, we run them MPG is definitely well down on gas versus petrol and you do notice asignificant difference if you flip it back onto petrol. If you work on the basis of £1500 to convert with it done properly and saving 80% against fuel costs you will work out how long you will need to drive before it starts saving you money. Also factor in getting the system serviced and often sensors etc don't seem to last as long on it. Personally I'd buy a diesel or one thats already converted but see if you can find out how long its run on gas as in our experience 100K on gas requires at minimum a top end rebuild.