20 gauge for fox?

yup 30g 5's just keep the range sensible.

People rave on about big shot but a lot of the time its entirely unnecessary and personally if I go out after them with a shotgun I keep the range down. You get a better pattern with them more shot to actually hit the fox and you don't have to try swapping cartridges at the last moment. I've shot them with most from 7's down to 1's and you just have to be sensible. Its not an ideal tool to go foxing with unless they are close, I've had them mostly on driven days / vermin shoots and you want them 20-25 yards away with whatever you use and at that range most cartridges do the job.

The first fox I shot with a shotgun was with a 20 bore, 28 gram number 6. 20 bore will do it, but as alex says, keep the ranges sensible.

I must add though, if you want to shoot foxes with shotguns, get yourself a 12 bore, there is much more shot to make up the pattern, and pattern kills <_<

Great thanks for all the replies, reason I asked is that it will be an oppurtunistic shot, out yesterday on a permission which firearms aren't welcome, dog fox gets pretty close to us.

Is there any restriction on the cartridge if the gun is choked? (1/2 and 1/4), it does say that 3" can be used in it on the action.

Kyska

Well guys, out yesterday and we got the dog fox to 24 yards of us, is that ok for the shotgun? If so, I'll going out today to give him the good news if he turns up (its a turkey farm he is on).

Any ideas about my querie below please?

Great thanks for all the replies, reason I asked is that it will be an oppurtunistic shot, out yesterday on a permission which firearms aren't welcome, dog fox gets pretty close to us.

Is there any restriction on the cartridge if the gun is choked? (1/2 and 1/4), it does say that 3" can be used in it on the action.

Kyska

at that range just shoot it with whatever you've got in the gun assuming its not 21gram 9's :good:

Got to agree with al4x here. As long as the shot is no smaller that munber 6 then at that range you should drop Charlie with one shot. It might be kind to give him the second barrel just to make sure though!

Got to agree with al4x here. As long as the shot is no smaller that munber 6 then at that range you should drop Charlie with one shot. It might be kind to give him the second barrel just to make sure though!

Thanks Frenchie, going off to buy some 30g 5's this afternoon, non of my local rfd stock 3" cartridges for some reason.