Discovery Owners

al4x

What are your handbrakes like? My otherhalfs dad had a bit of an accident this morning basically they were getting ready to go to Wales in their caravan, he'd got it out of the field where its kept and parked to shut the gate turned round and it was merrily rolling down the hill. Tried to stop it fell over and bearing in mind he is 80 he's not in that good a way. Disco parked itself with caravan attached in their wall half way down the hill :good: He went off by ambulance and I went and moved it all handbrake was on but seems like there is a lot of travel on the handbrake lever and only one click feels like it did anything. Obviously they have disc brakes on the rear its an X plate TD5 apparently its always been like it but is anyone elses the same?

On the upside 100 yard roll downhill to be stopped by a wall and the damage is under 1K apparently so really quite a solid motor

this you can pull up 3/4 of the distance without it feeling like it engages at all then 1 click grabs it and you can't pull further. Sounds like its got an issue as well as him not putting it on properly

Lack of maintenance it sounds like.

Handbrake adjustment should be checked every few thousand miles. It'll be a transmission brake on the disco, lock the transfer box.

serviced last week by a decent garage and it does work well but it just feels on or off. They've had it since a year old and seems as though its never been any different I was wondering if they felt like that as they are on discs sounds like investigation is required. 2-3 clicks does nothing yet the 4th it goes on well and holds and actually won't go further. It is a low miler and doesn't do much so not like its full of mud or anything like that

Edited by al4x

What tends to happen is you apply a discos handbrake with you footbrake on and you release the footbrake and you get a movement caused by the slack in the props drivetrain etc.

Which in turn causes the handbrake to jump what you have to do is apply the handbrake tighter after releasing the footbrake.

What owners do is and I am guessing happened to him is they apply the brake jump out to open a gate turn round and she chasing them towards the gate.

Hope he is OK but it just sounds like a accident .

Kind regards OTH

I had a new cable put on mine about a year ago because it ran out of adjustment, they also put new shoes in as they do become shiny and don't hold as well

I always leave mine in gear anyway but now tha handbrake holds really well

I'm guessing it is just one of those things as it is either off or on really well with one click, found out since it took about 5 mins to start rolling which is weird but he's looking at being ok and lesson learnt I reckon. Now just got to work out iff the wall is going to be more expensive to repair than the disco :hmm: