Rooks and crows

Ferretboy111

Hello, ive just purchased 2 rook decoys, a great american owl decoy and a rook call as i wish to try and bag a few rooks and magpies etc, has anyone tried to decoy them in atal using a method similar to the one im going to use with any luck, as well i have never intentionally tried to go purely after rooks in a shooting session?

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Alex

get yourself a fox decoy i.e a dead one :lol: it works very well sit it on its hind legs and prop up the front on a strong fork shaped stick with the front legs in front and then put a dead rabbit or what i find really good is a dead rook upside down with the feathers torn out and spread about with a couple of decoys 10 foot away facing the fox . with this method i find it to be very good for the carrion crows .

pete

all corvids have two weaknesess i reckon 1 they are curious blighters and 2 they are greedy *******. As already mentioned setting up some kind of scene will pay dividends, decoys, dead birds, eggs and rabbits seem to work every time you should get some great sport if you tuck yourself in.

happy crow bashing!

plinker

try to some some hardboard and draw the outline of the crow/rook and then cut it out. You should now have just a template of the crow/rook, try to make as many of these as you can then spray them black on both sides. Put these out in your decoy pattern. The crows/rooks can see them from a distance, but when they fly over the top of them they disappear, this realy freaks them out and they will just circle above them so you can blat away at them :lol:

Went out on sunday for crows and rooks, and we shot 6 rooks and a pigeon, it was slow at first but got better later during the day, we used a flapper and a call which got them real close, however the wind was low so they were up high. And the owl decoy proved useless as not one bombed it. A real challenge though but great fun!

I've been after a very crafty cock crow for 3 years.

Year 1, moved into a oak tree and raised 4 young. Got them and hen with shotgun at dusk. Cock very wary. Tree is in the open on it's own and he has all round vision.

Year 2 , got 3 young and hen , again at dusk. Cock knows shot gun range and is gone at the sight of anything.

Year 3, got hen at start of nesting season with .22 rimfire. Cock confused for about 30 secs before he realised ranges have changed. Clever bird.

Sunday, he saw me coming and flew into a field just out of .22 range. I wound down the truck window and pointed the rifle out, he flew back to about 120 yds. Big mistake, the rifle was my .17 hmr.

Game over!

crows have got very good hearing as well as a sharp eye ,you will find the old crows arnt daft there the ones that turn away from your decks at 90yrds so it may help putting your decks more to the right if they are makeing there way from the left ect..i think the owl will work if you use sound like the yanks do, crows are not daft they seem to sence some thing is not right and i will put this down to no sound then movement ,jackdaws are daft and will come in but them old crows are some thing else, you have done well if you have shot one of theses and i would give your self a pat on the back if its a old one ..you have been there crow decks out,and in comes two crows when the one in front turns away followed by the back one then the last one starts to turn back in to the patten then the other shouts out to the other and it turns to follow the first crow ,,that first crow has seen a few years more than the second crow. and the second crow is this years young id say ..one of the best ways to shoot crow is to have your back to the hedge and the decks way in front of you but it will only work on the flight path so the crows are comeing from behind you :devil:

• 1 month later...

IF SHOOTING CROWS LONG RANGE, I BAIT AN AREA UP WITH LEFTOVERS.THEN ON DAY OF SHOOT I PACE OUT MY RANGE PUT A CAN OF SHAKING UP COKE DOWN FOR MY RANGE THEN PUT FOOD DOWN THEN BEST OF ALL DOG BISCUITS PUSHED INTO GROUND. GET TO HIDE TEST RANGE ON COKE ,THEN WAIT.

AND YES I DO USE CROW CECOY AWAY FROM BAIT AND SQUEEZE BREAD IN BEAK.

• 2 weeks later...