Larsen traps success

Im just wondering what people's success's have been this year with using larsen traps between myself and a mate we've caught 10 grey crows,

12 magpies that's in about 3 wks, it's our first season and we started a bit late, also when do you's reckon is the most efficent time to catch these vermin? Would I b right in thinking between february and end of may?

It's best not to start before the end of March, because due to frosty nights the call bird may die.

You can go right through to July time, keep moving the trap and elevate it off the ground if possible.

But do look after your call bird, feed and water it every day, without fail. :good:

Cat.

Hi

all the info is bang on in the first post, another trick ive found is move the bird to the birds as close as possible

ive seen maggies 100yds from a trap but will not come in, so check in the early morning where they are feeding

and hanging round and then move in, plus check the trap as much as possible if you have time twice a day.

and if possible change your call bird now again,make sure he is from a different area keeps the intrest fresh

they sometimes seem to get bored, and for dispatching caught birds ring their necks and think of all them song

birds mallard and pheasants you have saved!!!!!

But do look after your call bird, feed and water it every day, without fail. :no:

Cat.

My preference is to replace the call bird with one of the trapped birds every day, rather than keeping the same call bird for several weeks. Remember that while it is perfectly legal to kill crows (obviously!), it is strictly illegal to cause them any form of suffering. Keeping one in a trap for longer than necessary might be defined as cruelty by some over-vigilent RSPCA inspector. Better to play it safe by chapping the call bird on the head once it has served its purpose once, and replace it with a more recent captive.

:no: or in this case Mr B!

BUT it might be worth remembering...the reason the birds come in and get trapped is due to their territorial nature. They come to see who the strange bird is who dares to invade their patch and get trapped. If you use a trapped bird in the same locale where it was caught you might find your trapping success falling off! His mates know who he is and may be less curious thereby avoiding the trap. Try using the newly trapped bird in another trap situated in a different location. :good:

:blush: or in this case Mr B!

BUT it might be worth remembering...the reason the birds come in and get trapped is due to their territorial nature. They come to see who the strange bird is who dares to invade their patch and get trapped. If you use a trapped bird in the same locale where it was caught you might find your trapping success falling off! His mates know who he is and may be less curious thereby avoiding the trap. Try using the newly trapped bird in another trap situated in a different location. :oops:

I find the easiest and quickest way is to hit there head off a corner of a big stone with one big hit, Kills them instanly

I have caught 74 carrion crows in about 6 weeks.

I moved mine most days even if it was only 50 yards, and replaced the call bird when the

trap stopped catching. Always replace it with a bird from your furthest away trap and make

sure it is the smallest one as i found the large call birds just wouldnt catch.

Cheapest and easiest food is morrisons complete dog food in the plastic bag and use there

plastic tumblers to hold the food and water in. I would fill the tumbler halfway with the dog

food and just cover with water so it goes nice and soft. I found one 3kg bag would last

10-12 days and cost just £1.36.

Corners of fields and along wooded areas will be the most productive and if possible check

and move the traps when it is dark.

Edited by weejohn