ECU remapping

Billy.

See above!

they dont make them supercars by mapping them they just make it effortless to drive instead of chasing up and down the gearbox at every bend and no more hesitation on pulling out on to motorways as for longevity landrover under powered all td5 s to reduce european emmisions so i was informed mine was purley done for economy and is alot smootther to drive but as you righly say if you want supercar performance buy a supercar but i found my ferrari useless for lamping in lol

manufacturers are heavily pressured to reduce their emissions and this can often be at the penalty of economy. Just think about the EGR, when is circulating hot burned air back into the engine ever a good idea? but it does reduce emissions a bit by giving it a second time to burn but will reduce economy. It is a similar case with the fuelling maps. if you fuel in a bit earlier when on power you can extract more torque and efficiency out of the engine, however it will probably lead to slightly more emissions out of the rear. That is the simple case why manufacturers often have the fuel maps that they do.

That being said, none of my vehicles are chipped. and happily my defender doesn't have an ecu.

manufacturers are heavily pressured to reduce their emissions and this can often be at the penalty of economy. Just think about the EGR, when is circulating hot burned air back into the engine ever a good idea? but it does reduce emissions a bit by giving it a second time to burn but will reduce economy. It is a similar case with the fuelling maps. if you fuel in a bit earlier when on power you can extract more torque and efficiency out of the engine, however it will probably lead to slightly more emissions out of the rear. That is the simple case why manufacturers often have the fuel maps that they do.

That being said, none of my vehicles are chipped. and happily my defender doesn't have an ecu.

i have most of my cars re mapped at one point or another.

They do genrally improve driverbility

they do improve mpg if you drive at the same speeds and accelarate as you did before!!!!!!!!but then you paid for a performace upgrated you havent used.

one ofte best thing with a diesel is take the cat off. it won't fail its mot as flue gas is not messured just particulates.

taking the cat off will improve mpg, acelaration and genral drive..... legal cheap. sorted. should pay about 30-100 for a de cat.

you can't do this with petrols cause the fail the mot

• 1 month later...

can recommend AMD motorsport ... they have looked after my car since ive owned it and are one of the top audi tuners in the country ( even though they do tune most things ) . regards the map well manufacturers just go for a middle of the road map which will suit most of the market ... but if someone is looking for a tuned motor then a good tuner will improve it ( but has to be a good one !!!! ) and it does improve diesels especially with turbo lag ( just smooths it out ) . I know for a fact that one of the biggest audi dealers in london send R8's to amd for tuning and brake mods which they offer from the dealership WITH AUDIS BACKING !!!! so they arent ' a back street garage ' .. the reason i went to them is simple ... majority of main dealers techs are poor and had nothing but issues with work done there ... and most these date only know how to change a part not fix it properly . these have always been genuine and offered good advice :good: ... they do know what they are talking about

i have seen them tune a black cab before now :lol::P

coupe regards petrol then a sports cat is the way to go :oops: ive got one fitted and never have any mot issues and my emissions are usually low for my model of car

Edited by jinxy72

It's a LANDROVER...enjoy the lazy driving style and simply laugh at the idiots flying past you as you cruise along at 55mph admiring the world around you.... :oops:

the lazy driving style is one of the bonuses of owning a landrover.... I have a rather good drivers car in the driveway next to the landrover and to be honest when i get in it now i seem to just complain to my wife about how it's not a landy.... :good:

I have a removable Van Aken chip in my Defender (along with huge intercooler, straight-through exhaust etc, all installed by the guy who had the vehicle before me) - takes 30 seconds to install or remove it. With the chip in place, the difference in power is pretty amazing, AND it's true that the economy is just the same, but I still spend most of my time driving without it. With the chip in place, the noise level from both engine and transmission is much higher, and the transition through the gears is MUCH more harsh and 'grabby' - I much prefer the more graceful gear changes with the chip removed. In my opinion, it's best to do any major ECU upgrade in conjunction with a transfer box upgrade which will soften the gear changes a bit AND make motorway driving (with all that extra power) a bit more comfortable and less noisy.

I'm with gixer1 above - it's a Landrover - you don't need to compete with chavs in their Novas, or even with stockbrokers in their Range Rovers with wheels that can't even negotiate a pothole - just enjoy it for what it is, with your elbow out the window, and let everyone else worry about who's fastest.

BEWARE!!!

I love my 110's improved performance (plug-in chip, larger intercooler, EGR blanked, ITG airfilter, Disco transfer box) and have done for 4 years now BUT the downside is as already pointed out. The extra torque allows lower revs at higher speeds but unless you have the will-power of a saint you will convert this potential fuel saving into booting the thing around and driving it like a 'car'. Another downside is the munching of clutches and the premature wear of break pads (through excessive breaking required at higher speeds). If, and it's a big if, you declare the mods to your insurer (as you must) then the premiums rocket. Some insurers refuse cover. I have also had an Ashcroft gearbox rebuild after 50k miles of mods as it couldn't cope. These long-term consequences are conveniently overlooked by the modifiers.

I've had 300tdi's improved with larger intercoolers etc and now this TD5. I'm not sure I'd opt for such modifications ('chipping') if I got a new TDCi. I'd just enjoy the OEM performance.

Sure, it pulls away at 80 still, accelerates up long hills even when fully loaded (rooftent etc) and the extra oomph is handy at times but having driven modified Land Rovers for 10 years now I wouldn't recommend it from an economic point of view. That said, I'm not about to deny anyone new to the experience the chance to feel it for themselves, I just wish this amount of feedback was readily available when I embarked on the changes.

Go into it with your eyes open to ALL the possibilities.

Cheers,

Ade