ECU remapping

Billy.

I know it's a shooting forum, but it's under the 'Off Road' section, so it kind of counts...

I've been looking to get my Defender 90's ECU remapped, as it apparently is the difference between night and day; Torque, speed, fuel efficiency... All better.

I heard about 'TD5 Alive' doing a try before you buy and practically everyone paid up at the end of the week. So it must be good.

However, what I can't get my head around is that this process is as simple as plugging a computer into the car and installing a new piece of software, which the company will already own. All this, for about £400 :good:

That's like me offering my copy of Photoshop to a mate and charging £400 - Even if I had an unlimited user licence...

There must be someone out there who does ECU remapping and can do it with a bit of PW discount :hmm::good:

Proper ECU mapping is not just adding a new map, it is putting your vehicle on a rolling road and having one custom made to your engine and fueling system.

BUT, you'd be amazed at how expensive the maps are for the supplier to buy from the manufacturer. It's not just like burning a cd for a mate, its all done with licensing.

Proper ECU mapping is not just adding a new map, it is putting your vehicle on a rolling road and having one custom made to your engine and fueling system.

BUT, you'd be amazed at how expensive the maps are for the supplier to buy from the manufacturer. It's not just like burning a cd for a mate, its all done with licensing.

i recently had my td5 done at amd in west thurrock the difference is amazing now doing 200 hp and the torqe is fantastic effortless now and they are the only ones i found with a rolling road well worth the £420 plus economy is impressive its worth having the egr removed also cost about £49 for the blank hope this helps pete

i recently had my td5 done at amd in west thurrock the difference is amazing now doing 200 hp and the torqe is fantastic effortless now and they are the only ones i found with a rolling road well worth the £420 plus economy is impressive its worth having the egr removed also cost about £49 for the blank hope this helps pete

I bought an EGR blanking plate, but I think i need the extension tube too... I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'll have to get someone else to do it :good:

So is the remapped TD5 that different? I saw a clip on youtube of a TD5 doing 115mph on the motorway. Nothing more than a remap and a new intercooler. :good:

Edited by Billy.

I bought an EGR blanking plate, but I think i need the extension tube too... I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'll have to get someone else to do it :good:

So is the remapped TD5 that different? I saw a clip on youtube of a TD5 doing 115mph on the motorway. Nothing more than a remap and a new intercooler. :good:

didnot go for intercooler but the difference is unbeleivable td5 alive will send you the chip but that kinda doesnt map it true to the car 115mph should be no trouble at all when my one was done it made the clutch slip due to the torqe increase so ended up putting a new clutch in at 63000 was probably due any way if your ever down this way your more than welcome to have ago

didnot go for intercooler but the difference is unbeleivable td5 alive will send you the chip but that kinda doesnt map it true to the car 115mph should be no trouble at all when my one was done it made the clutch slip due to the torqe increase so ended up putting a new clutch in at 63000 was probably due any way if your ever down this way your more than welcome to have ago

If I was going to get the remap, I'd go for the proper thing. It'd be good to get a tailored service for my car.

I'm glad someone can vouch for the TD5 alive version, or I'd think I'd fallen for a bit of false advertising. However, I have seen the 'Twisted Performance' remapping, which sounds pretty good too... (Choices choices choices!)

Oh, one final thing.. :good: Does the engine actually sound a lot better? The Youtube clips seem to sound the case.

If I was going to get the remap, I'd go for the proper thing. It'd be good to get a tailored service for my car.

I'm glad someone can vouch for the TD5 alive version, or I'd think I'd fallen for a bit of false advertising. However, I have seen the 'Twisted Performance' remapping, which sounds pretty good too... (Choices choices choices!)

Oh, one final thing.. :good: Does the engine actually sound a lot better? The Youtube clips seem to sound the case.

the one on you tube has a stainless exhaust and the guy is about £2500 lighter :good:

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/land-r...sel-tuning.html is cheaper option its plugin modules which adjusts the mapping (over boost and fueling) plenty of fans on car forums and easy to fit and remove if you want to sell or change when you change car, but a custom remap with uprated parts will do alot more (new intercooler, injectors, turbo hoses, etc etc etc)

Thought about having my 150 BHP astra upped to 180+ but decided against it, DTUK green box is supposed to be a good economy improver but will push the power over 200 BHP and torque over 320NM which i think is too much for the chassis to handle, My mate has a Alfa GT with same engine and gear box and it could handle the power...

Edited by HDAV

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/land-r...sel-tuning.html is cheaper option its plugin modules which adjusts the mapping (over boost and fueling) plenty of fans on car forums and easy to remove and selll but a custom remap with uprated parts will do alot more (new intercooler, injectors, turbo hoses, etc etc etc) Thought about having my 150 BHP astra upped to 180+ but decided against it, DTUK green box is supposed to be a good economy improver.

i was warned away from thes as they only fool the engine into thinking it was cold all the time and are basicly a resitor but iwill stand corrected that is according to a mechanic mate of mine

you can get exactly what you want from a td5 torqe or hp .allisport do a modded ecu chipped not remapped.you ask for hp you get it torque you can have it. the comment made dont bother with intercooler is not a true one.cold air going into a diesel is what you want so intercooler is the answer allisport would tell you the same.not only does an intercooler keep the air cooler going into the engine it helps to keep the engine running cooler. iv got mates running a full bore allisport ecu and allisport intercooler variable vain turbo from turbo tecnics and they pushing out 208hp and massive torqe cant remember exactly but over 300nm. they run 38 inch boggers for off roading and it will light them up on tarmac.the sound is awsome too. and that is from me a v8 nut!!!!! hope this helps a little

you can get exactly what you want from a td5 torqe or hp .allisport do a modded ecu chipped not remapped.you ask for hp you get it torque you can have it. the comment made dont bother with intercooler is not a true one.cold air going into a diesel is what you want so intercooler is the answer allisport would tell you the same.not only does an intercooler keep the air cooler going into the engine it helps to keep the engine running cooler. iv got mates running a full bore allisport ecu and allisport intercooler variable vain turbo from turbo tecnics and they pushing out 208hp and massive torqe cant remember exactly but over 300nm. they run 38 inch boggers for off roading and it will light them up on tarmac.the sound is awsome too. and that is from me a v8 nut!!!!! hope this helps a little
i was told the intercooler on the later td5 was big enough 2002 onwards but where you would stop with the tuning depends on your wallet ive got kids so mine is empty

i was told the intercooler on the later td5 was big enough 2002 onwards but where you would stop with the tuning depends on your wallet ive got kids so mine is empty

very true chipped ecu was about £500 intercooler £450 ish turbo not much change from a grand then you got to start thinking about bypassing mass airflow slightly because they cant take the boost (air rush) egr removal and on and on and on sky (wallet) the limit.

I wouldn't bother in all honesty.

Why would you want fast car performance from something which was designed to go slow and steady over varying terrain ?

The brakes, tyres, chassis etc are not equipped to deal with fast performance driving or the extra power - therefore it will only end in tears and paintwork scrapes.

You want a 2nd car by the sounds of it... insurance costs will limit that though :angry:

I wouldn't bother in all honesty.

Why would you want fast car performance from something which was designed to go slow and steady over varying terrain ?

The brakes, tyres, chassis etc are not equipped to deal with fast performance driving or the extra power - therefore it will only end in tears and paintwork scrapes.

You want a 2nd car by the sounds of it... insurance costs will limit that though :angry:

Absolutely, I spent over a decade of my working life in engine control and emissions compliance system development; manufacturers spend millions developing these systems and people will spend a few hundred quid at a back street garage undoing a vast majority of that work. The mind boggles...

I had a defender TD5 on loan while my Disco was in the garage, it had been chipped and the intercoller done etc etc and to be honest it was undrivable. You could not pull away smoothly in it as the revs seem to jump from tickover to about 2500 just by resting your foot on the accellerator pedal. Couple that was some large off road tyres and the aerodynamics of a house brick and you get a combination that isn't good.

If you want to drive fast then get a hot hatchback, if you want economy then get a diesel hatchback. If you want to go anywhere then stick with your defender.

I am always <slightly> sceptical about any more/power/torque + better fuel economy - unless these mods dramatically improve the engines overall efficiency, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Another slight downer, is you are then passing on all your new found power through probably tired clutch/gearbox/diff etc so you can expect them to cough out quicker.

:angry:

I'll even admit to owning a 2nd car which has indeed had performance work (including ecu calibration) done on it.

Quite oftern I hear people saying that the remap or the corrected Air / Fuel ratio improves MPG over stock.

If that's the case - why wouldnt the manufacturer offer this fantastic MPG increase from the factory?

I also find that any gain is quickly countered by the extra heavy right foot that then develops soon after :(

the simple reason is Gary that as well as looking for the ideal "map" they bear in mind things like component and engine life so have to have a compromise. Increase the power drastically on a defender and you will reduce the life of everything engine and drive train related. Running on a reasonably rich side does make diesel engines pretty much last forever.

Your breadvan is a slightly different kettle of fish so to speak as being performance orientated it is designed to cope with a reasonable power output, defenders aren't