Dogging in

darren m

If your dog is a bit wild forget it the birds are young and daft and the dog will keep pegging them and thats the last thing you need for a young dog it will make him even more wild.

Absolutely agree. Dogging in is the last thing you want to be doing with a young dog. Every chance of creating bad habits in the dog and giving you a headache.

Dogging in is not a dog training exercise opportunity. Not if you want to do it properly that is!

Absolutely agree. Dogging in is the last thing you want to be doing with a young dog. Every chance of creating bad habits in the dog and giving you a headache.

Dogging in is not a dog training exercise opportunity. Not if you want to do it properly that is!

So it's better to have a young, inexperienced dog on shoot day when there is no opportunity to correct? :good:

Dogging in IMO is ideal experience for a young dog provided you control the environment and the dog is at the right stage, i.e. all the basics, rock steady on dummies and stops on the whistle every time but is in need of game experience.

Darren, dogging in, as said, it basically a walk round the boundaries or pens on your shoot hunting your dog up to flush the birds that are roaming away back home.

It is NOT a free for all with the dog running wild and chasing or pegging everything in sight. Under very close control to enable immediate correction it is great work for a dog.

If dogging in is essential to the shoot then let the keeper and his experienced dogs/helpers get on with it. If the options are using dogging in as a training exercise or no dogging in at all you will be welcomed with open arms provided you can demonstrate your dog is ready for it.

So it's better to have a young, inexperienced dog on shoot day when there is no opportunity to correct? :good:

Not with me it aint! If the dog is insufficiently trained and steady it shouldn't be out. Period! .Not the dogs fault it the fault of the owner.

Dogging in IMO is ideal experience for a young dog provided you control the environment and the dog is at the right stage, i.e. all the basics, rock steady on dummies and stops on the whistle every time but is in need of game experience.

Put temptation in its way and it will undoubtedly circum. Easiest way to create faults in a dog is to put in situations where its over faced.

Darren, dogging in, as said, it basically a walk round the boundaries or pens on your shoot hunting your dog up to flush the birds that are roaming away back home.

If you're dogging in you'll be no where near your pens!

It is NOT a free for all with the dog running wild and chasing or pegging everything in sight. Under very close control to enable immediate correction it is great work for a dog.

If the options are using dogging in as a training exercise or no dogging in at all you will be welcomed with open arms provided you can demonstrate your dog is ready for it.

Dogging in can b accomplished with out the use of a dog, especially a young excitable inexperienced dog. They are about as welcome as a bill from the tax man.

So how do you suggest introducing the average shooting man's dog to game :good:

Know the ground, with an inexperienced dog hunt the outlying areas where only a few birds will be encountered. Dogging in is one of the best opportunities available.

Try being constructive with advice to the OP rather than disecting my advice with criticism (not that I care, I'm more than comfortable with what my dogs do and how they behave) and it may be more beneficial to the forum.

Oh, and if you get a bill from the taxman you're doing that wrong too - calculate, declare and pay, easy.

thanks lads -- no worries she does know the basics , but needs to experince game again .

she went beating last year just a couple of days and was ok at first , but the more game she experinced over the winter months the worse she got . i would take her training in the woods we beat to try and steady her up , where there was loads of scent and birds , but she just got faster and faster :oops:

so what i,d like to do is try again and show her the game then rope her right in so she knows to leave well alone :hmm:

i,ve heard folks say its good for them and some say winds them up even more

WGD - thanks for your comments , i agree the dog as to get experince some how or we'd all be taking wild dogs on shoots :blush: , i,ll ask the keeper nearer the time for permission , hopefully she'll be ready for next season

cheers all

A lot will depend on the numbers/concentration of birds you have.

If you are dogging in where you can take a leisurely walk round the hedges with your dog under control and flush the odd bird back into cover then no problem and you will find it the best training you can get. However if it's a large shoot with thousands of birds marching across stubble or up hedges or fences then that's the quickest way to ruin a young dog.

Find a shoot that will allow you to do a bit of dogging in on the perimeter where you will only find a few birds, this will provide you with the training exercise you are looking for but believe me don't ruin your dog by using it where it will be expected to work dogging in vast numbers of birds, it's a recipe for disaster.

yup you have to start somewhere but you do need to be at the point where you are fairly certain the dog knows the basics and understands them. After all it can be started on a long lead if you absolutely have to.

Jesus! I've read it all now. :blush:

If you're having to resort to such desperate measures the dog's is obviously not ready. You'd do better to take it and yourself back off home and start on some basic obedience.

"So how do you suggest introducing the average shooting man's dog to game" A nice quite bit of cover where you ca get at the dog should the need arise and the dog is not going to be over faced with to much temptation. There's no point trying to run before you can walk.All you'll end up doing is falling flat on your face.

"Know the ground, with an inexperienced dog hunt the outlying areas where only a few birds will be encountered." Yep I agree with that

" Dogging in is one of the best opportunities available." Only problem is the covers usually will grown, the birds are stupid and will often squat rather than run and the dog will get over excited. Doggin in, is a serious keepering exercise, not a dog training opportunity, and shouldn't be treated as such. If you want to train the dog take it training, not dogging in or beating.

"Oh, and if you get a bill from the taxman you're doing that wrong too - calculate, declare and pay, easy." I'll pass your advise on to my accountant. I'm sure he'll be as critical as I am.

sadly i lost my collie i used to do all my dogging in with last year so i have picked out two of my clumbers to got them real steady and controled so fingers crossed they wont do a bad job , i left one sat over a pop hole on rearing field forgot all about him been there went to do another job came back 20 mins later hes still sat fast the birds had got quite used to him and were climbing allover him