Greenlee.

markm

Got a friend who is interested in starting stalking / going, I thought I might perhaps suggest this guy.

Few questions -

Was it a success? (did you shoot/see anything?)

cost (pm me if you don't want to post on here)

would you go again?

I was a little concerned that the owner has a 'deer management group' on there in this months magazine and also taking paid stalkers.

Greenlee = Jon Snowdon a professional (deer) stalker who writes in Sporting Gun magazine and runs DSC courses. I’ve never met the man but he writes a good tale and if I had the inclination I’d visit just for the experience.

Was it a success? (did you shoot/see anything?) If that’s your/your friends sole criteria for successful deer stalking then I’d bin the idea now!

Also not sure about your comment ‘I was a little concerned that the owner has a 'deer management group' on there in this months magazine and also taking paid stalkers.’

IMO If you/your friend wants to start deer stalking then the best thing he can do is go visit a professional not once but a number of times until he’s up to speed. You don’t say if he’s already shooting CF or has any previous experience so I’ll assume not and suggest that before he does any stalking he gets some lessons in handling firearms, safety, and range work, not simply off the bench but in all aspects such as shooting off sticks, freehand etc to assess his competence before letting him loose on ‘live quarry’. Then more ‘lessons’ from someone who really knows what they’re doing maybe take a DSC course.

Greenlee = Jon Snowdon a professional (deer) stalker who writes in Sporting Gun magazine and runs DSC courses. I’ve never met the man but he writes a good tale and if I had the inclination I’d visit just for the experience.

(I knew that)

Was it a success? (did you shoot/see anything?) If that’s your/your friends sole criteria for successful deer stalking then I’d bin the idea now!

(Would you go to a pub to drink beer that has no beer? Or a book shop with no books? This is a deer stalking business after all.)

Also not sure about your comment ‘I was a little concerned that the owner has a 'deer management group' on there in this months magazine and also taking paid stalkers.’

Found it strange that he has paying stalkers out (who will be paying money to stalk and shoot, no matter what way you look at it) They don't go for a walk around the woods as I am sure they could do that locally. A deer management group is not single visit paying deer stalkers in my eyes, although I may be wrong. They can only be shot once.

IMO If you/your friend wants to start deer stalking then the best thing he can do is go visit a professional not once but a number of times until he’s up to speed. You don’t say if he’s already shooting CF or has any previous experience so I’ll assume not and suggest that before he does any stalking he gets some lessons in handling firearms, safety, and range work, not simply off the bench but in all aspects such as shooting off sticks, freehand etc to assess his competence before letting him loose on ‘live quarry’. Then more ‘lessons’ from someone who really knows what they’re doing maybe take a DSC course.

Thank you for your comments but the post was aimed more at anyone who had been there. I don't want to suggest greenlee just from what I've read in a magazine, which I am sure you will understand.

I did my DSC1 course with Jon and followed it up with a paid stalk. If memory serves correctly it was £95, but that was a few years ago.

Jon and his wife are great people and make you feel more than welcome :good:

With regard to that stalk i saw 3 Roe deer, it was buck season and two of them were female so obviously they were no shoots. While we were driving to another spot there was a buck in an open field not 30 yards from the road. We drove to the bottom of the track and then tip-toed back up about 120m but he'd done a houdini by the time we got back, into some very tall crops in the next field :hmm: Then while yomping over to the intended spot i happened to turn back and saw the little b****** bounding about in the crops and i'm sure i heard him laughing :lol:

So it wasn't successful in the sense that i didn't bag a deer but it was a great experience and the thrill of the chase was enough to make me think i'd spent my money well. ???

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Hi there, did my DSC1 there within the last 12 months, it is very good and very relaxing atmosphere and friendly, I would recommend going there, beautiful setting as well, if you stay the dinners are good to say the least..

In response to one of your responses :good:

Deer unfortunately aren't as obliging as your local landlord! if you are succesful in bagging a beast on 50% of your stalks as an infrequent recreational stalker you are doing very well indeed and if your friend goes out expecting to come back with some venison then more often than not he will be sorely disapointed. When I go out I do so with the enjoyment of the stalk and the environment in mind, if I manage to take a deer whilst out it is a huge bonus.

Doing it this way is different to having your own land so you can engineer success by lots and lots of planning and preparation.

Edited by Vipa

Deer stalking is about shooting deer (I agree about the other thing sight, smell, sound). Other wise we would not bother or be animal photographers.

With reference to the landlord, if he runs out of beer he can't sell any. If his beer is rubbish, people will go there once and never return.

Keep in mind that it's not for me, I have loads of places to go, it's for someone I know and I don't want to commit myself to take them out etc etc. Just asking for opinions, didn't want to recommend what I know nothing about.

Just to let you know I have had 3 PM's. 1 very positive, 1 ok and one negative. None (from what I know so far) have shot anything.