RAV 4 on an L plate - worth considering?

Everhopefull

Hello,

My son has the chance of buying a RAV 4 , it's in good condition, at least body wise. The guy is asking £1K ono, which I believe is way over the mark?

Is this 4x4 worth considering at a better price subject to mechanicals check, or at that age, not worth considering? :oops:

Any opinions,especially any info. on MPG, tax, ins would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies

:blush:

I walk past a Rav 4 on my daily lunchtime constitutional, and the thing that always strikes me about it is that if you took it onto rough ground you would probably end up without an exhaust because of the way things are laid out.

Having said this, I have no idea if they are any good to drive.

ZB

My daughter has a 94 5-door model and says it is very good to drive. I don't think it will be good for more serious off-road, as there is no diff lock, but she has done the odd field and some nasty muddy country lanes with no probs. Handles well, good standard of equipment and seems to be fairly bomb-proof otherwise and a fair bit of storage space inside.

ive got a 04 rav 4 and on muddy lanes rought fields its fine and its nice to drive and reliable in my experience being made buy the japs but as for a seriouse off roader i carnt help you there but i should imagine not great as there quite low and have no diff lock and as said for the money there are a lot better but for general all round and light-medium off road mine anyway seems fine

Depends what he needs it for my dad has an N plate SWB 2.0l petrol its very reliable and decent to drive boot is small and sets 4 but its torquey 4WD and has transfer box lock which is better than nothing £1k for a good one with history and low miles good body and tyres (makes all the difference off road) its a sound investment IMO not to big to park, fun, reasonable on fuel (a UK car should be easier to insure) The towbar design helps rear protection if fitted wont tow a huge load but traverses soft sand with small RIB easily behind it decent spec on P plates or newer (ABS, airbags, AC etc) Twin removable sunroof is nice (GX models IIRC) and ideal for lamping just fold rear seats up and a perfect platform to lamp from add roof rack bar for a rifle rest.

L reg is an early one they can go for as little £600 check out Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-Toyota-RAV4-2-0...#ht_1154wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-Toyota-RAV4-Sil...#ht_1270wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-TOYOTA-RAV-4-FR...3#ht_500wt_1154

Twin removable sunroof is nice (GX models IIRC) and ideal for lamping just fold rear seats up and a perfect platform to lamp from add roof rack bar for a rifle rest.

mines the gx and yes,it has the twin sunroof and they can be fully removed,good to shoot out of and been in fields but,nothing to test it,as it only has road tyres on it..nice to drive,compared to my mates suzi vit,which is a boneshaker.. <_<

al

mines the gx and yes,it has the twin sunroof and they can be fully removed,good to shoot out of and been in fields but,nothing to test it,as it only has road tyres on it..nice to drive,compared to my mates suzi vit,which is a boneshaker.. :)

al

Indeed my dad looked at the vitara (4U2 1600) and at 50 on the road the engine and transmission screamed and whined and it bounced along down the road!! the Rav4 (on cooper tyres that are 70/30 ish and not low profiles sports tyres) is safe and stable to 80 comfortable and quiet the 2.0l petrol has some grunt (more like a diesel to drive) perhaps not as capable off road but a much nicer daily drive that can cope with wet grass, the old man keeps making noises about getting a newer one (not as good off road) i really fancy having the Rav putting some meaty tyres and a small winch and seeing what it can really do!

Indeed my dad looked at the vitara (4U2 1600) and at 50 on the road the engine and transmission screamed and whined and it bounced along down the road!! the Rav4 (on cooper tyres that are 70/30 ish and not low profiles sports tyres) is safe and stable to 80 comfortable and quiet the 2.0l petrol has some grunt (more like a diesel to drive) perhaps not as capable off road but a much nicer daily drive that can cope with wet grass, the old man keeps making noises about getting a newer one (not as good off road) i really fancy having the Rav putting some meaty tyres and a small winch and seeing what it can really do!

mine did get stuck in a field,right up to the floor plate :yahoo: you had to crawl out,instead of stepping out. :shoot: ..a tractor had to get us out.

funny thing is the tractor driver told us,that part of the field is a no go area,as it is so soft.

had a smile in a few weeks after,as tractor and trailer had become stuck in the same place and the tractor that towed it out (eventually),almost got stuck to.

mine has done over 100,000 miles and seems okay so far.

mine also has the electronic switch for the 4 wheel drive(i call it the pretend 4x4).no idea on the comparison to other types.

al

mine also has the electronic switch for the 4 wheel drive(i call it the pretend 4x4).no idea on the comparison to other types.

al

I thought the UK spec ones were all 4WD (with a transmission lock instead of front and rear diff locks) Some Jap imports were 2 wheel drive. I got it stuck in soft sand once (trying to turn with boat on the back but reversed back and got off fine, My dad towed an Omega off the soft sand that had buried itself up to the boot floor on that same beach, then fetched his dinghy for him to the hard stand....

If a tractor gets bogged down its not suitable for a car.....

I thought the UK spec ones were all 4WD (with a transmission lock instead of front and rear diff locks) Some Jap imports were 2 wheel drive. I got it stuck in soft sand once (trying to turn with boat on the back but reversed back and got off fine, My dad towed an Omega off the soft sand that had buried itself up to the boot floor on that same beach, then fetched his dinghy for him to the hard stand....

If a tractor gets bogged down its not suitable for a car.....

:shoot: the lad who`s shoot it was and new ground to me,never knew about the soft ground,it just looked okay.a first and a last trip on that part of the ground.

on mine their is a electronic switch with a 4x4 sign on it and you press this and that is it for 4x4 driving.

can take a pic later if you would like to see this particular switch. :yahoo:

al

on mine their is a electronic switch with a 4x4 sign on it and you press this and that is it for 4x4 driving.

can take a pic later if you would like to see this particular switch. :good:

al

hmm is yours an import? I am sure the UK ones are all full time 4x4 and th switch is for transfer box lock (similar to diff lock but stops axles spinning out rather than indivual wheels) Sure i read it in the onwers manual you press the button when traction likely to be lost, mud/snow etc

hmm is yours an import? I am sure the UK ones are all full time 4x4 and th switch is for transfer box lock (similar to diff lock but stops axles spinning out rather than indivual wheels) Sure i read it in the onwers manual you press the button when traction likely to be lost, mud/snow etc

no idea if it is an import..mine is an n reg.bought it 2ndhand 2 years ago in the uk.

does not tell you much in the toyota owners manual about it..just press on/press off.no proper detail. :good: (a beep sound can be heard to tell you it is off)

al

Edited by albob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Late in the day for this thread but as I have one on an M Plate, thought I would add my bit especially with the weather we have been having.

I have the push button lock and the vehicle is permanent 4 wheel drive.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but if you try and drive with it on and you are on a normal road, you can feel the difference with the steering being tighter.

Also works like my old series 3 Landy where if the lock does not disengage, a quick splurge in reverse releases it.

The best bit now is during all this bad weather, I have just climbed through and driven across everything I have encountered.

Side street blocked off after a snowplough had been down the main road, button in and straight across it no problem.

I have managed to stay mobile while many others have given up.

The road holding and performance (apart from fuel economy) have been brilliant to the point where I have decided to keep it for a while longer and hand it on to my daughter.

Bet you cant find any cheap ones now.

The road holding and performance (apart from fuel economy) have been brilliant to the point where I have decided to keep it for a while longer and hand it on to my daughter.

Bet you cant find any cheap ones now.

Biggest mistake I have made not buying the clean tidy one i saw for £600 buy it now on ebay, even the missus gave me a kicking about that one.