DIY Shoot?

200 birds @£2.75 a bird cheapest i have priced this year or ex layers could be an option £??

20 bags pellets @£8 a bag none medicated or£10 medicated

2 tonne corn last year cost £90 per ton this rear £?

buying new gear or maintenance of release pens drinkers feeders elect fence etc.

if you are starting from scratch and it's diy the maybe better to put minimum birds down and rough shoot or walk it up with one or two drives see what sort of sport the woods and cover you have got provide, going down the cover crop road can cost a lot and you have to have a very helpfull farmer on board.as the land is flat i would just feed all the woods and when beating blank inn the woods that show poor sport into the better woods but as i don't know the land and you do its realy up to you. good luck with it.

Hi,

Can anyone give me advice on whats needed for a diy shoot (200 birds)? Advice for equipment and land, cover, etc?

Thankyou. :good:

Hi Home Guard

The advice you seek will fill a book, you didnt mention how experianced you and the guns are and how much time you can put in prior to shooting season, the best advice i can offer is find someone who already runs a shoot or a local gamekeeper to come over and have a look or you go to their shoot for a walk-about.

I have been running my own shoot and part-time keeping on another for 15years and still learning.

Good luck

As above, you will need far more knowledge and advice than most would be prepared to type up on here for you - best bet get onto ebay and find some books.

As for the gear, if you need everything from scratch look at farm auctions - there will be some dross in there but you might be able to get a syndicate's old gear for not much money.

From a practical perspective get someone on board in your syndicate who has done it before or who is a farmer - you will need heavy machinery and knowhow.