Showing SGC

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else had come across this new(to me) firearms law. I went to the local clayshoot as usual and they asked to see my sgc. I said its in the car but I'm not traipsing all the way back to get it. They said no bother just fill this form in to say that you arent banned from handling guns, so I did. I've been clayshooting 46 years and have only seen this form on corporates that I've helped out on for non shooters. Is this happening all around the country :) ?

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else had come across this new(to me) firearms law. I went to the local clayshoot as usual and they asked to see my sgc. I said its in the car but I'm not traipsing all the way back to get it. They said no bother just fill this form in to say that you arent banned from handling guns, so I did. I've been clayshooting 46 years and have only seen this form on corporates that I've helped out on for non shooters. Is this happening all around the country :) ?

Haven't seen it at my clay shoot, I work there too but if you think about it it's the right thing to do. If a ground has a section 11 exemption and then allows a prohibited person to handle firearms, the ground is committing an offence! By getting non-certified shooters to sign a disclaimer at least the ground is showing that it is trying to be complicit with the law.

I remember having to sign one when I did my DSC and was using the estate rifle.

May bring that up with the boss.... at the moment he is leaving himself exposed!

Haven't seen it at my clay shoot, I work there too but if you think about it it's the right thing to do. If a ground has a section 11 exemption and then allows a prohibited person to handle firearms, the ground is committing an offence! By getting non-certified shooters to sign a disclaimer at least the ground is showing that it is trying to be complicit with the law.

I remember having to sign one when I did my DSC and was using the estate rifle.

May bring that up with the boss.... at the moment he is leaving himself exposed!

+1 on this one.

The shooting ground are doing the right thing. They have a responsibility (as do all shooters) to stay within the law and not allow prohibited persons access to firearms. However their options are limited, as they have no access to Police systems, they can't do a P check. So getting a disclaimer signed is the best option for them.

Also if a prohibited person makes a false decleration and is caught out, Firearms Licensing take a dim view on this if the persons prohibition expires and they apply for firearms.

A new system has been introduced at my local clay shoot:

EVERYBODY either shooting or spectating at the stands must be signed-in. Regular shooters already on the computerised system get checked-in, and those not on the system get noted seperately on a form.

same here at park lodge my mate had 1 to sign this week

I havent been to a clay ground where they are doing this yet. However i did go shooting down near dunstable at a clay ground and one of the persons in your group had to hand over their certificate in order for the group to shoot.

Dan

On the face of it, I can see the sense behind it. For the shooter it also means presumably his attendance is recorded so he can prove at a later date that he has been using his shotgun if it ever gets queried at renewal time or whatever.

On the downside I can see it developing into the same situation as exists in clubs where FAC weapons are used where the police phone the secretary to check how often an individual has been attending and making judgements based on the information they are given.