Knife Sharpening

johnnyjitsu

Hello,

I was lucky enough to have been bought a fantastic hunting knife recently by my friends and wondered if anyone can give me any tips on sharpening it when the time comes. As its expensive i dont want to damage it and would pay to have it sharpened if needsbe.

However for my fold away knife i have a small jack pyke sharpener block. Has anyone used these? One thing i needed to know was do you pass the blade through this in one direction only? is it suitable for a bigger fixed steel Nieto blade?

Any help would be really appreciated

CHeers

Hello,

I was lucky enough to have been bought a fantastic hunting knife recently by my friends and wondered if anyone can give me any tips on sharpening it when the time comes. As its expensive i dont want to damage it and would pay to have it sharpened if needsbe.

However for my fold away knife i have a small jack pyke sharpener block. Has anyone used these? One thing i needed to know was do you pass the blade through this in one direction only? is it suitable for a bigger fixed steel Nieto blade?

Any help would be really appreciated

CHeers

The way to get a realy good edge it to get the same angle on each side of the blade. You can get a good sharp edge on a stone but it is harder and takes pratice, apply a light oil to the blade then rub the blade in small circular motions all the way along the edge, then repete on the other side. I use a LANSKY Sharping System, this give the angle to get a very sharp knife.

IMO no not use a pull through knife block on a expensive knife, ok for a quick edge in the field on a cheapy but in the long run makes a real mess of the blade.

Personally I wouldn't use any of the knife sharpener gadgets. I use a butchers steel (get the biggest one that you can) hold the blade at a reasonable angle from the steel, too flat (ie the sharper the angle on the blade) and if you manage to get anywhere this way the edge will be too fine and corrode/break away. The nearer to 90 deg and you'll actually take the edge off the blade. Practice makes perfect but imagine the steel is a ham (or whatever) and stroke the knife down the steel as though you were trying to cut a slice off it. Starting at one end of the steel and at the base of the blade, stroke the knife down it drawing it across as you go, one length of the steel = one length of the blade . repeat either side of the blade half a dozen times or so, don't use lots of pressure as this will also impair the edge. If you've ever seen a chef or butcher sharpening their blades they do it quickly and lightly. Oil stones are good for bringing a blade back thats been left too long or abused and you can finish with metal polish and a strop if you really mean it (again lighter is sharper), decent steel (high carbon) will turn into a razor at this stage but the edge is too fine for a heavy working knife. If you run your blade up the steel every time you stick it on your belt, it will always be sharp and never need bringing back on a stone. Also never stick your knife in the ground whilst working and clean it regularly, blood is highly corrosive and will eat away any sharp edge.

The way to get a realy good edge it to get the same angle on each side of the blade. You can get a good sharp edge on a stone but it is harder and takes pratice, apply a light oil to the blade then rub the blade in small circular motions all the way along the edge, then repete on the other side. I use a LANSKY Sharping System, this give the angle to get a very sharp knife.

IMO no not use a pull through knife block on a expensive knife, ok for a quick edge in the field on a cheapy but in the long run makes a real mess of the blade.

Thanks for the help chap- happy bunny now- (well maybe not...!)