Beretta Silver Pigeon 3 MC

djrwood

Hello, im now getting into pigeon shooting and leaving the clays alone but still do enjoy doing them every once in a while. I currently own a browning 425 ou and a beretta urika 2 semi. I dont really use the browning that much any more (only for clays) and am using the semi for pigeon. However im getting really fed up of picking up the spent shells, and dont want to be known as someone who leaves them lying around everywhere. Its not so bad when decoying as im in one place but i have been doing quite alot of walking and shooting lately and its impossible to get every spent cart.

I've also been wanting a beretta silver pigeon 3/4/5 for quite a while now and have been saving hard and planning on part x-ing the browning for one. However now i just dont know what to do. Im unsure on the following:

1. Whether to buy a new silver pigeon 3. Ive found them selling at 1870 and have been offered 700-900 for the browning depending on the gunsmith having a look over it.

2. Whether to buy a second hand silver pigeon and still sell/part ex the browning.

3. Whether to sell/part ex both the browning and beretta semi and have a silver pigeon made and fitted for me so i have only one gun which i use for mostly pigeon/game but also clays. Does it cost much extra to have a new gun made to fit?

I really don't know what to do. I think my shooting would improve with a single fitted gun which i use for everything. But would it really be worth the exspense? and how much would it all cost? or will i out grow the gun?(i'm 23)

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Is the semi worth it for 1 xtra shot? have your tried the silver pigeon? I tried both a Silver pigeon and a 525 recently the 525 fitted better so i bought that, both were very similar but different guns, getting a gun fitted depends what needs doing to it really if its a small change in cast and the right length/drop then £50 if its more then prices go up.

Seems option 3 is logical, or option 2 + shell catcher, cheapest is sell the 425 and buy a shell catcher!

I've been told my several people to stick to just one gun and learn to shoot it so having bought a 525 that's all I'll be shooting the SxS will stay in cabinet and the other O/U is up for sale.

I think you will find that a shell catcher on a semi auto reduces it to one shot. The captured empty after the first round prevents the second empty from ejecting and the next cartridge can't feed.

They are popular in the US when they use autos for trap shooting as their version of DTL is single barrel.

There was a prototype of a multi shot version on trial in the US but it never materialised.

Vic.

I think you will find that a shell catcher on a semi auto reduces it to one shot. The captured empty after the first round prevents the second empty from ejecting and the next cartridge can't feed.

They are popular in the US when they use autos for trap shooting as their version of DTL is single barrel.

There was a prototype of a multi shot version on trial in the US but it never materialised.

Vic.

i'm sure i remember a post were someone had made a homemade shell catcher out of a hairnet cable tied to the gun over the ejection port

....................or was that one of my strange dreams that i need to patent...................... :oops:

i'm sure you are correct about the ones you can buy limiting you to 2 shots. :blink:

pity someone doesn't make a shell catcher that works, i do like my semi auto's :yes:

you should have seen how far the cartridges fly out of the flanigun on the skeet range :oops::yes::P

I would say that while you are still a novice, stick to the one gun. However, experienced shots can pick up most guns and shoot well with them. I can swap between my silver pigeon iv and xtrema without noticing any real difference in performance. For now, if i were you, i'd stick with the browning for the clays and pigeons and concentrate on becoming a better shot.

I have seen just recently a brand new silver pigeon on here for 1500, and a nearly new one for 1100. I have one for an all rounder.

How much would you want for your semi? I do want a semi for a kick around, the Silver pigeon not really suited to the salt water and mud.