Container security

harpoonlouis

I am looking for the ideal security solution to storing something in a container in a remote location. Locks and re-enforcing is taken for granted.

I have no phone line and only mains electricity if absolutely necessary. Mobile phone reception is a bit iffy on some networks but assume it is OK for this exercise.

I want to cover the gateway and a group of containers about 60 yards away plus another container about 300 yards away. All this is set in about 60 acres of arable with a few trees and hedges for cover.

So far I have looked at ProStalk Nature Camera which takes 5 Megapixel images recorded on an SD card powered by 8 little batteries, last for 12,000 images, weather proof etc, IR LED flash good to about 15m. Good for getting idea of who is prowling about but I have to go and retrieve the images.

Next up is the PoacherCatcher which will alert via text messages to our mobile phones, will run for a month on its internal batteries and seems to be all weather tight but I won't know if it is an intruder or a cow triggering it off.

Last up is a nifty bit of kit from China that is a camera/mobile phone combined that will take low res pictures ( 300K) and transmit them to my phone and e-mail them to my puter so I can see what is causing the disturbance. Problem with this is that it looks like a web cam you would have bought in the 1980s, isn't weather proof and needs mains.

Anyone know how I can combine the benefits of the discrete recorders with the benefit of getting the images sent via picture message or e-mail?

mains electricity if absolutely necessary.

No point sitting at home (or even worse while you are away on holiday), been loading onto back of a wagon.

Do you know any rubbish electricians, who can do a pxss poor job or wiring that might accidently but a live feed to the metal outer cases of the containers? B)

Our what you need is some sort of underground bunker complex :yp:

Er, nothing scare em off these days and alarms are useless since we are far enough away from houses so we don't disturb them with thousands of rounds of gunfire!

If we fit an alarm somebody has to go and check it out, the police aren't interested and that means me going up there to find out it it a cow setting it off or a couple of our wandering scrap metal collectors armed with a side by side.....

I like the idea of getting a picture sent to my phone before I set off so I know what I am dealing with.

So the question is does anyone know how to cobble togeter and all weather version of an sms / mobile phone with PIR and preferably a remote pin hole camera that runs on batteries.

Silly idea but what about contacting the university. They will have some kind of electronic engineering course and they may be able to help you out cheaply or even for free (if you buy the gear) as a practice/student exercise?

Just a thought.

What about a cheap laptop and a dongle set up? don't really know how to but was thinking of something along these lines to keep an eye on the horses when ready to foal, (no phone line at barn) i'm not sure but i was thinking about laptop always on dongle connects to internet home computer connects to laptop through internet, obviously power to laptop is a issue and cost of internet connection through dongle just a thought. Oh you could put an electric fence thing attached to your container, they give a nice kick at least its something they wont expect lol.

Your mains electric problem can be sorted by a 12 volt car battery and an inverter, 12 volts DC to 240 volts AC.

Then make a suitable weatherproof housing for the Chinese gadget.

Can you please send me some details of the Chinese gadget it sounds interesting.

webber

double door the containers and fit an alarm system and an mobile autodialer, have the key pad fitted on the out side in a box where it can not be damaged by cows, large quallity deep cycle battery (leisure type) and a solar panel or two to charge it, loose lock the first set of doors so they are easy to break into, second set need to be mustard :) alarm triggers on any set of doors and internal pir ..... sorted and no problem with cows setting it off

I have a mobile autodialer it works well has 6 channels so can be wired to 6 alarm systems! works well, sends a txt then phones can have up to 10 numbers installed :good:

Your mains electric problem can be sorted by a 12 volt car battery and an inverter, 12 volts DC to 240 volts AC.

Then make a suitable weatherproof housing for the Chinese gadget.

Can you please send me some details of the Chinese gadget it sounds interesting.

webber

There are a couple of Chinese firms knocking these out, here is an example of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Saw a guy in the UK trying to flog them at the Boat Show for £260.

Edited by harpoonlouis