Shotgun Slugs

Hi,

I have just started shotgun shooting and wish to know more about the law concerning solid slug shotgun rounds. And what is the minimum amount of projectiles legally aloud in a shotgun cartridge?

Thanks guys.

What exactly are you shotgun shooting ?

'Projectiles' you sound like an undercover reporter

Simples Shotgun cartridges are Section 2 ammo..Can be applied for as can a Sec 2 Shotgun for clay pigeon or pest control

Solid Slug or any other encapsulated ammo or any kind of bullet are Section 1 and are held on a firearms certificate to which the holder needs to go through a variety of checks and verification process to establish 'good reason'

Glad someone brought this up always wondered myself , but what use would they have in this country ?

Are you on a wind up or is it just Beer O'clock ?

If it's the former...do a bit more reading, if it's the latter your forgiven.. :yes:

Slug rounds form a large part of UKPSA shooting in the UK, it's an integral part of the sport, there a few shoots at Bisley as well so don't knock i...try it

guys , give the novice a break . no he isnt a paper man , just young and full of questions that some may find trivial . :yes:

we all started there one day . :no:

this is a forum for shooters home guard , expect some stick but you will find answers .

above all , shoot safe and learn lots ! :hmm:

Are you on a wind up or is it just Beer O'clock ?

If it's the former...do a bit more reading, if it's the latter your forgiven..

Slug rounds form a large part of UKPSA shooting in the UK, it's an integral part of the sport, there a few shoots at Bisley as well so don't knock i...try it

Sorry i thought this was a forum where you could ask questions my mistake ......... :yes:

I just thought slugs would be for bigger game than we have here in this country i.e wild boar , elk , moose etc and i was being a bit lazy and didn't want the hassle of trawling through a search !

Guest cookoff013
For those who are interested: In the UK a shotgun cartridge is defined in the 68 Act as:

"cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter"

+1

and dont bother loading slugs with 5 pieces of #12 shot stuck in the wad.

thats plain silly. it had been sugested several times before, but a slug is a slug.

if you are interested in doing this, then i`d advise you discuss doing this with your local feo.

they will have a few choice words on the matter.

on the other hand, there is nothing illiegal about making a steel shotgun cartridge

with an un cut wad. this is very legal and conforms to all specification as to what a "shotgun cartridge" is.

however accuracy / grouping can be mesured with a barge pole, at under a few feet from the target.

Sorry i thought this was a forum where you could ask questions my mistake ......... :yes:

I just thought slugs would be for bigger game than we have here in this country i.e wild boar , elk , moose etc and i was being a bit lazy and didn't want the hassle of trawling through a search !

Sorry I was bit grumpy last night.. :hmm:

Now how about Buckshot ? It's Section 2 Ammo and can be held on a Shotgun Cert..Absolutely lethal

If you're going to start loading large shot on a SGC get your measurements etc right..

Its 5 or more not exceeding .36" diameter.

So, according to the Eley Diary

LG is .36" with 2 per 10g or 6 to the ounce

The Americans use the term 'Buckshot' and 000 Buck is 0.36" weighing 70 grains with 0.5% antimony according to Lymans.

o.36" = 9.1mm approx.

The moulds for a .36 black powder cap n ball handgun (mid-20th Century ..!!) used to throw a ball just under .36" - coincidence?

I always thought to have any sort of accuracy with a solid shot of any type you would need a rifled barrel , so i cant see what you would need solid slugs for unless the quarry was a few feet away , and even then wouldn't a d/b s/s rifle be ample for this type of shooting ?

Slug no offence taken , I'm a grumpy sod in the mornings and took it as a bit of PW humour :yes:

Guest cookoff013

slug guns are slightly different than shotguns, although the gauges are the same..

rifled barrel / rifled slug, smoothbore, wadcutter, dangerous game. they are different slugs for different applications.

some slugs only work in rifled barrels.

the smoothbore type can handle game at moderate distance. i`m not talking miles here, its just choice, and what works well in your combo.

if i had a target slug work in a gun, and get good grouping. it would be suitable for most applications..

not all slugs work in all barrels, overboring /sub boring gauges. tollerances really screw up slugs.