settle an argument please

hamster123

right i have noticed that i have been paid 200 quid for work that ive done,in that 200 is a irish 20 pound note , its got ulster on to.my partner says its not leagal tender i say it is,might be one for dazza this. oh and it actualy says sterling on it to.....

Northern Ireland banks still print their own so as Webber say its legal.

You might have trouble in some shops spending it as some dont like them and scottish (notes that is)!. But your bank will take it for sure.

Edited by Dibs

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

This is taken from the Bank Of England website

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm

Edited by Son Of Potter

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

This is taken from the Bank Of England website

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm

thats interesting . legal tender is such a strange term

thank you dazza for the offer ... but you no i am 38 years old and i ve never been to ireland,ive seen so many pictures ,tv programs about the place and i think its up there as one most nice est places ever, im going to keep a hold of it and put a few with it and spend it there,ive had one to many **** holidays abroad this is one place i really want to visit....

thank you dazza for the offer ... but you no i am 38 years old and i ve never been to ireland,ive seen so many pictures ,tv programs about the place and i think its up there as one most nice est places ever, im going to keep a hold of it and put a few with it and spend it there,ive had one to many **** holidays abroad this is one place i really want to visit....

You won't be disappointed.

It isn't 'legal tender'. It is a strange thing curious to the UK known as a permissory note. Certain banks are allowed by law to issue notes on the proviso that they deposit some money with the Bank of England. The note is a promise from Ulster Bank to give you a BofE £10 if you produce it at their branches. As with all these things, the middle man is cut out and people take them person to person on the basis of trust that the bank will allow anyone to redeem it.

However, as we know, some issuers of permissory notes (RBS and HBOS) nearly went bust and it would have cost a fortune to sort out if they had. As the BofE can't go bust, I think they should be the only issuer of currency, like the the Fed is in the US.