Pictures for Ziplex...................

Evil Elvis

Fab!!! Shes coming on really well, training classes tonight!!! Not going to start the gun training yet but she comes to clay shoots and is great!! No bothered by the guns at all. :good:

[/quote

never had a hpr before must be a lot involved in the training my mutts are just used for picking up

are you going to use her for stalking as well

all the best bruxie

I thought you'd forgot! She is a looker alright, looks like she's in tip top condition too...you must be proud of her I guess :good: I reckon these and GSP's are about as handsome as a dog can get, lovely classy lines to 'em :good: Hopefully the training/retrieving will come on and she'll make a cracking gun dog, good luck with her and thanks for the pic's... :good:

they do move well, not ideal for normal driven shooting in this country, I've got a GWP before anyone lands on me but great as rough shooting dogs

My GSP seems to float through/over rough ground, she's so light on her feet......is abolutely smitten with hunting but finds sitting in a hide very boring, to the point she'll go to sleep and is not a keen retriever sadly. If I take her to the foreshore, she'll hunt all the way out over the Hams relentlessly, then go all 'eyey' when she's called in...usually resulting in sulking :good: Not really the right dog for it I know....still a great dog generally though and a character too :good: She's great walking the renes, will point ducks i've no idea are there, we've had a few good evenings doing this and when it comes together she's brilliant.

funnily enough mine sleeps in the hide and in the back of the truck when lamping, will hunt all day though if you let her like you retrieving is a struggle unless its fox sized and she can be a bit hard on wounded game, dead game she'll come back with fine undamaged but if it struggles its not usually for long. Got to work round that one but its early days and really she comes out with the rifle more where it isn't an issue and if she goes on a wounded fox or deer they can't be too gentle so its a bit of a catch 22. Absolute characters though and I find mine far more laid back than even a lab, she really doesn't bat an eyelid at most things and as a house dog she has been great no damage at all and a very clean dog.

There must be a Pointer traight running through them it seems. I took the little Springer out last week for a little training with the gun and had a winged pigeon which the Springer was very gentle with, the Pointer wanted it badly though and was a little less gentle with it! She approaced a shot crow last year and it had a peck at her which she took offence to and sorted it out sharpish :good: Her forte is pointing and hunting for sure, the little Springer is spot on for sitting steady now and retrieving, so she'll come out after the Wildfowl...........god knows how i'm going to get out of the door without Bree, she 'aint going to be a happy dog.

edit: she too has to be the most laid back unfazed dog I could wish for in that respect, she's so casual about everything and incredibly friendly.

Edited by ziplex

do you find she works well with the springer? Interestingly mine is best when out with my brothers lab, she points and the lab has sussed to work with her and flush.

I've not seen anything like it with runners as well she turns almost bloodhound like and will actively trail them, very different to the norm and takes a bit of getting used to watching her go backwards and forwards but its almost like she smells blood and knows she will get there in the end. They are definitely challenging but very rewarding as well, glad in a way to hear yours is the same with wounded game not quite sure what the answer is other than keep trying!

do you find she works well with the springer? Interestingly mine is best when out with my brothers lab, she points and the lab has sussed to work with her and flush.

I've not seen anything like it with runners as well she turns almost bloodhound like and will actively trail them, very different to the norm and takes a bit of getting used to watching her go backwards and forwards but its almost like she smells blood and knows she will get there in the end. They are definitely challenging but very rewarding as well, glad in a way to hear yours is the same with wounded game not quite sure what the answer is other than keep trying!

She's only been shooting the once with the Springer, but I reckon she'd suss out how to work with her. I took her with the little 'un to see if her retrieves would improve and it certainly introduced some competition...only problem was they started getting too competitive and ran in a few times. Tonight while out where I took the pics she was on something in a hawthorn hedge and was relentless until she found a way through then hunted it for a good 10 minutes, crossing from field to field etc. until I called her back. The little Springer has learned when the Pointer goes on point it's time to hang back a while, they seem to have found a bit of an understanding, and the Springer has a habit of 'pointing' too now :good:

post-3597-1280265119.jpg

Bree was an absolute nightmare for the first 2 years and I think I was out of my depth but she's not a bad lass now.

:good: That springer is a sweetie!!! Love the pose.I have always liked "hound" type dogs, your gsp is lovely.I also have a very old english pointer, who was great at pointing and would find game and point at it....rarely picked it up unless it flapped :good: Then it was very quickly game over. And Believe it or not she was a better ratter than the Jack!!!

Viszla are supposed to hunt point and retrieve. At the moment we are doing obedience classes with a lean towards the more gundog orientated style.The woman who teaches her loves viszls and the hunting instinct that they have.She can be very difficult to get back if she gets onto a fox or rabbit trail, I want to learn to control that instinct a bit better before she goes out in the feild properly.

She points brilliantly and has retrieved small rabbits and things when thrown and brings them back to me unharmed.

Im very happy with her progress and so is the teacher, who is very enthuisiastic about training her for obedience and the gun, she has a knack with her and purdey likes her.

I got told off last week for letting Lisa start the class, as we drove in there were hordes of pigeons on the farmers wheat so being one to never miss a trick was there like a shot talking to the farmer, I joined in half way through , but hey, hes going to let me ride the combine with gun to shoot the bunnies and foxes and munties that get flushed...ho hum :hmm: You have to get your priorities right....dont you!! :rolleyes:

Just looked at the pictures, they even have the same stance and sit the same lol..........................

Edited by Evil Elvis

Bree was an absolute nightmare for the first 2 years and I think I was out of my depth but she's not a bad lass now.

You mean there may be hope for my Zeus yet? If you don't mind, let me see if I can put some pics up of him...

zeus_270710a_1.jpg

zeus_270710b_1.jpg

zeus_270710c_1.jpg

He's (or perhaps we's) just starting to get the gig now. Born to hunt, slowly realising that it's a team effort...

You mean there may be hope for my Zeus yet? If you don't mind, let me see if I can put some pics up of him...

zeus_270710a_1.jpg

zeus_270710b_1.jpg

zeus_270710c_1.jpg

He's (or perhaps we's) just starting to get the gig now. Born to hunt, slowly realising that it's a team effort...

Oer, our Bree is looking interested :good: , he's a fine looking lad........he's not from Birkenwald by any chance? looks very similar in the head to this 'un.

His sire is "Kane" from Meadowdale and dam Rickyard Alexandria who's sire and dam are Birkenwald xxxxx of Rickyard :good:

To be honest though he's more like his sire than dam but there again I guess it follows that way because a dog should always look like a dog and a bitch like a bitch. I did (before we got ours) and still do a lot of GSP watching at game fairs and except where dogs have been "chopped" in their youth can tell which sex a GSP is just by looking at the head.

Same applies to other HPRs - Baz's is clearly a bitch although I know of a dog that was chopped before six months who, despite being a good worker, looks like a bitch (and has a few issues around other dogs sometimes which may be associated with not letting him mature naturally?).

I'd love to run mine with another HPR that does know what it's meant to be doing as he always performs better when there's a bit of competition.

:hmm: Mike thats not a dog...hes a friggin bulldozer on steroids lol.....................

Takes after his sire who's very thick set for a GSP - good job he ain't on steroids! He's been much calmer lately when people visit but he nearly took himself and Duncan through the front door and into the street this evening :good: