Which decoys?

CHARLY

Hi guys,

I`m hoping you can help me navigate my way through the maze of equipment that I`m told I must have to start decoying. I`ve been shooting pigeons for years as part of my rough shooting but never decoyed before. I know I need hide netting/poles etc but when it comes to the type and number of decoys I need I get lost! So could some kind person suggest a basic package and pattern to get me started?

Thanks.

well if its shot gun your useing its ok to use shell type decoys as you dont need the pigeon to land just come in to range i would buy 24 of theses or 12 full body type if useing air rifle ect,what i will say the full body type are better for both shot gun and rifle but take up more room in the bag,thats why i use shell type ones more ..i would buy the flapper over the magnet as its easy`er to carry and works just as well ,but it pays to have both ..if you go for the shell types decoys get some spring sticks to lift your shells of the ground and to give movement .next i would buy some cradles to put your dead birds on they work a treat i have the 18" ones i think ? theses are easy to carry and pull the birds in well. best not to mix with shell type decks though best to pull the shells up when you use theses as you really can tell that the shells are not real and so can the birds ;) you can`t beat useing dead birds so you can get some neck props there the sicks that look like a Y ..theses will fit in you pocket ..

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Plastic are fine, id stick with them, so much more cheaper. Forget about hide poles, all u need is a net, camo clothing, decoys i have the easy fold ones, a whirley does help alot, a seat and a bag. Im sure ive missed things but its t basics. Ive thought recently on getting hide poles but well its just as easy to cut down a few branches, less to haul across t fields anyway.

Alex

CHARLY,

Try using shells AND dead birds on cradles. I do, and often get birds landing amongst the plazzy deeks. On rape, at this time of year it`s best to have lots of deeks in your spread, plus you can always bring in the plazzies if they don`t seem to work. If you use flocked deeks they are less likely to shine. I put my shells nearest to the hide, where they can clearly be seen, but just away from where birds try to land. They are less likely to be spooked this way.

if as u say ur just starting an net get hiden as much as u can but u still have to see the 12 shell decoys not 24 and shoot ur haert out have fun mate nothin else neaden foor basic good days been there done it now on to two magnets and 12 decoys my self and shooting good bags its all down to expeirance u no

If you're on a tight budget, instead of buying the expensive hide poles, buy some washing line poles from asda or argos. They're only a couple of quid each and should be okay provided the ground isn't frozen solid.

I still have no electronic gadgetry. I have 24 shells and use a couple of floaters. they work well but sometimes I think having a magnet or flapper would certainly help pull in some more birds. Looking to buy a magnet soon.

the more decoys you put down the better :D if a pigeon is in the air and just sees your 12 shells down and can see his mates all 100 of them a field away he will go there insted ,you must remember a pigeon is a flock bird and feels safer in a flock so more is better so by useing every dead bird you have shot helps ,the cheepest way has got to be neck props or sticks under the birds chin to make it look alive :)

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

, buy some washing line poles from asda or argos.

I got some poles from Haskins garden center yesterday. They are 1.5m with a flattened point end with a plastic cap at the top for holding wire fencing which seems to me to be perfect for holding a net. Best bit is they were reduced from 4.99 to 3.49 !! :D Bargain. :)

Jim.