Rabbit Snares

deputy dog

Hi All.

Iv been on you tube watching the Rabbit snare trapping vids. Though i have made a few of those shown in the past. I often used ready made bought snares, which i can get 100 for around £35. But seeing one video where some one was making them and using them quite effectively. I would like to have a go making them myself and hoping it would be cost effective in the long run. The trace wire used was size 20 gauge in thickness. So can any of you please enlighten me as to where i can get a decent size role of this size wire suitable for rabbit snares. And how much would i expect to pay for it, as i dont want to get ripped off. Any posts would be greatfully recieved.

ATB

DD

Made thousands over the years and normally use the electrical wire used for sheep fencing-not the stuff with the nylon running thru it!-most agricultural suppliers should stock it-dont forget that once you,ve made your snares you need to leave them outside to weather for a few weeks -this removes any scent on them and takes away the shiny glare from any brass that you,ve used.

• 2 weeks later...
:good: i've made quite a few in the past & they've been effective using several types of wire, the best type is any thin twisted cable (picture wire is excellent, should be twisted cable for the `spring` qualities, bicycle brake cable also works but can be a little stiff due to it being a bit thicker). any wire snares should be of a non-locking (free-running) type as any that lock when tripped are illegal, this is to allow any protected or unintended quarry a chance to escape (not so easy for rabbit & hare!). :yes: