One hell of a kick

The Beater

Hi all.

Could anyone recomend a good recoil pad for my Miroku game gun as going to be doing alot of clay shooting with it. Bin out twice with it now and its kicking hell out of me because its so light. I use to have a beretta 303 for clays but sold it last year b4 goin on holiday :lol::D wish i still had it.

Anyway looking for a pad rd 15\20mm thick. Saw some for £10-£50, is it worth spending more, or will a £10 pad do the same job as a £50 one.

i might suggest that if its giving you that much of a belting a change in carts may be called for.

most of the modern brownings/miroku's come out of the factory without anything more than a 3mm thick plastic recoil pad which has no absorbing qualities at all.

what carts are you using?

Edited by dunganick

out of intrest is it hurting your shoulder or your face?

just incase its an issue with Fit not recoil.

i would suggest that there is no real reason to have a trouble with recoil although the game bore (i assume XLR's) are anything other than 'extra low recoil' it still shouldnt cause you so much discomfort it hurts.

difficult to say about recoil pads, becuase they are normally just what ever your local gunshop has.

but the yanks recomend something called a kickez (spelling?) pad, which is meant to be very good. but its sticky rubber, so might hinder mounting.

you could just buy a plain brown or red recoil pad from a gunshop like chambres, it shouldnt be too tacky, and it should provide a bit of dampening.

I have a slip on recoil pad on my Biakal, mainly to increase the stock length a couple of cm but I found that the browning clay vest I got with their built in recoil pad is much better than the slip on pad.

My Macnab would bruise my shoulder after 50 clays to the extent that I had to wait for the bruise to go down before going clay shooting again only to put the bruise straight back. Since I got the vest I can use it for as many clays as you want and there is no hint of bruising.

If the gun fits now then slip on pad is only going to ****** up that fit.

I am with Nick on this one, if any gun is knocking you about that much it screams gunfit problem.

My Beretta had a horrible sticky rubber pad when I bought it, and as I shoot gun down that was no good at all, so I had a bakelite but plate fitted which has no give in it at all.

I can, and have, shot 200 clays without any side affects at all - apart from the odd miss-mount when I dropped concentration.

The gun is probably a bit heavier than yours, but I have shot Eley/Gambore/Express etc etc 28grms these days but I used to shoot 32grms when they were all that was generally available without any problems.

So, gun fit and gun mount, and if they all seem OK, then try one of those kickeez things but they are expensive.

Yeh sounds like it could be gun fit. When I first started firing 25 clays would leave me black and blue. Now I easily fire 150 in an afternoon and walk away without a bruise. That is directly down to not holding the gun properly to start with. Just below your shoulder is a pocket, this is whare the toe of the but should go. if you are not used to it it might feal a bit unnatural and the but will feal very high. This is the correct position to get used to.

I t might be worth puting weight in your but to help absorb some of the recoil. I have 1lb of copper bar in the but of my gun to balance it but it does help reduce some of the recoil probably about 10% The balance of the gun should be between your hands when you are holding the gun. this is typicaly arounnd the pivot point

Dave

It's all down to simple physics - the lighter the gun - the bigger the kick.

Game guns tend to weigh in at around 6.75 - 7 lbs, whereas most clay guns come in around the 7.5 - 8 lbs level.

That bit of extra weight helps soak up a lot of kick, having said that, the most effective recoil pad on the market, IMO, and many others, is the Kick-Eez.

They are expensive compared to a standard rubber one, but just like Zabala shotguns, you get what you pay for.

The other alternative, which I have done on my Beretta 682, is to fit a hydraulic recoil reducer, by Dave Izzard. Do a search on Recoil Systems, you'll find his website.

This is the most expensive, (but most effective) option.

Cat

Could be gun fit then, but from what i know it fits ok. Going clay shooting at North Wales shooting school on sat so ask one of the lads there to check me and the gun out.

I had a go on my mates lamber and nothing like the same kick on that, he had a go with mine and said the same. I'm not getting bruised anywhere. Seems to knock me off the 2nd shot, having to work harder to get on it i think.

Could be cos i was use to a S/A for clay shooting and didnt feel a thing with the weight and loading using recoil. I'd say my Miroku 6lbs / 6.5 ish . Like i say its better with 24g loads.

Ive only shot bout 350 shells through the gun and my scores have gone down by rd 15 hits on 100 sporting layouts. Still not fully use to it yet.

You said you are going to do a lot of clay shooting with the miroku, is it your only gun so you are using it for everything? My talk about the vest also means that if you bought this for game shooting but need to use it for clays as well you don't wnat to have to make permenant changes to the gun to make it better for clays.

It's all down to simple physics - the lighter the gun - the bigger the kick.

Game guns tend to weigh in at around 6.75 - 7 lbs, whereas most clay guns come in around the 7.5 - 8 lbs level.

That bit of extra weight helps soak up a lot of kick, having said that, the most effective recoil pad on the market, IMO, and many others, is the Kick-Eez.

They are expensive compared to a standard rubber one, but just like Zabala shotguns, you get what you pay for.

The other alternative, which I have done on my Beretta 682, is to fit a hydraulic recoil reducer, by Dave Izzard. Do a search on Recoil Systems, you'll find his website.

This is the most expensive, (but most effective) option.

Cat

Cat,

Is there more to your post than you are saying?

You shoot one of the heaviest sporters there are and you have a recoil reducing system fitted - any reason whythat is?

I beat on a shoot where soft city boys shoot 500 partridges in a short day, so say 2,000+ shots through very lightweight posh side by sides, using 30 or 32 gram loads.

I am not suggesting for one minute that you are a big girls blouse BTW :thumbs:

Edited by stuartp

Stuart,

I have two 682's, one I bought in 1984 from Chris Potter, it was one of the first batch of 3 to be imported from Italy.

It is a 28 inch model, now very uncommon..??, as 30's were not introduced until some time later. It weighs in at an incredible 8.5 lb, however most of my shooting over the years has been at competitive clays using 32g shells until we all went down to 28's. I've had the barrels ported and the forcing cones lengthened, also a Dave Izzard recoil reducer fitted, so you'd think it would feel like an airgun, but it still kicks quite hard, particularly if I use 32g shells, so much so that I now won't use 32g shells, because of the after effects.

I can hear the pundits saying, "aha, must be poor gunfit", but it ain't, because i've had it fitted to me by Ken Davies at Holland and Holland, and I have it re-checked regularly.

The reason it kicks harder than my other 682, a 30" Gold E that weighs in a full 1lb lighter, is I believe because the barrels were not overbored like most modern clay guns. The difference in recoil is quite noticeable between the two, and i'm sure it's the overbored barrels on the Gold E that are making the difference.

Anybody else got any ideas..??

By the way, i'm 6'2" tall and weigh about 17 stone, so it sure ain't lack of body mass...!!

Cat.

Weird one that, maybe some guns are just prone to doing it, I can only guess it is the diameter of the bores if the cones have already been lengthened.

You are full 5 stone taller than me so it can't be that :thumbs: :wacko:

Does anyone know any 'normal' sized people that ever made realy good shots? :wacko:

Richard Faulds is pretty close to "Normal" build, and he's arguably the best Sporting Clay shooter in the UK at the moment.

As far as I'm aware, the DT10 that he uses has a factory fitted standard pad, although no doubt the gun has been "tweaked" many times by the boys at Gunmark so that it fits him perfectly in every way.

I have noticed a trend over recent years for a number of top class clay shooters, (i.e. John Wells, Stuart Clarke, Philip Simpson) to switch from O/U's to Autos, some with added lead in the stock, in order to try and reduce the effects of recoil.

I can cope with it because I now shoot only about 5000 shells a year, I once tried an auto which was great for Woodies, but it handled so differently on clays, that I went back to the O/U.

Cat.

I have seen Faulds and Digweed shoot at Caterham, they are both pretty awesome. RF was using a bashed up 682 that day that had a big hole drilled through the butt pad. From the way they dust stuff it is pretty obvious they use either 3/4 or full. You can see GD get bored after a while and start to take as it comes out of the trap.

I did RF miss a very easy rabbit at Four Counties once, you could have heard a pin drop after that :*)

He straighted the rest of the stand and probably most of the others that day, but the pressure to hit absolutely everything must be bloody awfull.

Luckily I don't suffer from that :thumbs:

Yes, they do shoot a lot of choke, the logic being that choke changing is one less thing to worry about, and if you have full and extra full in your barrels, then you will never be underchoked for the odd very long target..!!

Interesting that RF missed a single rabbit, that's exactly what happened when I last shot off against him for the final of the British Open at Southern Counties some years ago, it bounced just as he pulled the trigger and hopped right over the pencil like pattern he was throwing at it - if he'd have had 1/4 choke in, it probably would have broke, but it deidn't matter, as he still went on to win the Open.

Cat