Wet weather....

starlight32

Well the weathers been awfully wet here in suffolk for the last two-three weeks now, and I have'nt seen as many crops standing uncut this long around here for years.

Every field black as far as the eye can see.

I see one farmer today who was not best pleased about it all at all and reckons there will be fair few crops lost this year if the weather keeps the same-his two combines been stood up for over a week. I was going to tap him up for some rimfire renumeration but thought the tempo a little sore for money....

On the plus side, I have been shooting peas everyday for over a fortnight now, and most of the peas have shelled out and are on the ground causing a feeding frenzy in between rain showers like you would have never seen. I have'nt even been near rape stubble, the birds just have'nt been on them.

Took over 500 birds since I have been off.......................

Hows it fairing around the rest of the world?:good:?B)???

Edited by starlight32

Rapes done. Barley under way (was on the combine and bayler this evo). Wheat next. Rain stopped play - nothing forecast. Forecast said possibility of light showers tomorrow morning - well it started at 8 p.m. and it's slashed down, only subsiding now.

Lots of farmers getting anxious and warming up the blowers in their storage sheds.....

Rape is down and has been for about a week or more , not much barley grown my way . Most farmers are now on the wheat with the bigger farms going through the night and grain being dried ,others around a week behind .

Got 1 farm who has just started there wheat and still has 1700 acres to do plus 600 acres of lin seed .

Most were going yesterday afternoon till late and its looking good for today so far :good:

same here, 200 acres of wheat left just happens to surround the release woods which is a bit of a nightmare as its now full of poults and you can't see the foxes. They started yesterday and got about 40 acres done before it tipped down and was very wet going last night. Coming in about 20% moisture which shows how much they want to go as it will take a fair bit of costly drying. Sunny this morning but more showers forecast this afternoon and no real dry period in sight. Just shows what an easy job it is eh OTH :good:

This year says it all to me about farmers and contractors stretching it to limit with staff and combines /tractors it.

I shoot for one guy who farms 9500 acres accross oxon/wilts/glouscester.

He only has 2 very large combines now in a dry year no problem also ever farm has binned there dryers .

But on a upside pigeon shooting has been great with standing crops been beaten and birds all over it .

It reminds me of I think 1996 when we where still cutting in the 2nd week of october.

My dad told me a story of when they had massive floods on the thames and crops where flooded they cut the corn in dec driving the combine though ice and just cutting the tops of the wheat.

I think they will be done by the end of this week on the farms that have there own combines but the contractors will be into sept 100%.

Regards OTH

the real issue comes now if it starts sprouting which will make the crop worthless, thats why a fair few are going for it in conditions they wouldn't normally, and the fact the wheat price is good so they can afford to dry it. Most round here have kept their dryers though know one who tries to sell most straight off the farm and he is struggling