Sales advice on shotgun stock

PUSC

Hi folks, looking for some advice on where to sell/how much for a spare stock that I've come in to posession of. All I've been told is that it is for an Mx2000 perazzi and measures 25cm at the comb. It also has a kick-eez pad on the butt. Its in fantastic condition with only a few little signs of wear but it can't of been used that much. It is not oiled though. :good:

the easiest place to sell would be ebay

gordon - all depends on whether the stock is for a dropout trigger or not. i can remember which way round it is but some mx12 or 2000 you could get dropout or fixed triggers. then it would be compatible with mx8 instead

I've had a few Perazzis in my time and MX3, MX4, MX8 and MX2000 all have drop out triggers units and stocks are generally interchangeable. However, the early models of MX8 and possibly MX3 had the top lever pin either at the top of the action face or on the R/H as you look at the action towards the firing pin holes, swapping stocks to and from these guns would need a bit of work done to them to enable the top lever to function.

MX5 actions had fixed triggers and stocks are not interchangeable with other models and vice versa. I don't know what the position is with MT6 models.

Price is dependent upon the condition and the stock fit to the prospective buyer. I've bought a Perazzi adjustable stock for my wife's gun which only cost me £150, the seller hadn't been able to sell it as it was short and wanted rid of it. By the same token I've sold a L/H stock to someone for £350 but it was SC0 grade wood, and high in the comb so he was able to have it taken down to suit. You're not far from Southern Counties Shooting Ground near Dorchester the gun shop there sells a fair few Perazzis see what they offer you for it.

It would be useful for a prospective purchaser to know the LOP, drop at front and rear of comb plus the cast at heel and toe.

Perazzis are custom made guns and apart from the average stocks that are provided as standard there's hundreds of custom made stocks floating around that are totally different from the norm.

At a guess I'd say £250 to start with, there's certainly not enough figure in the wood to be a higher grade stock blank.

Would these assist in saying which type it is?

If the measurement on the top tang is about 21mm in width where it slide into the action and 23mm in width on the underside it the same place it'll fit an MX8 (just measured one of mine). I've attached a photo of the head of the stock where it slides into the action, on the L/H side you'll see it is cut away (to allow the top lever mechanism to operate) and the R/H side is more solid. On older stocks this is reversed and to enable an old stock to fit a newer gun the wood in the head needs to be cut away on the left side and a small piece of wood glued in on the right side to prevent the solid pin holding the firing pins in situ from sliding over and allowing the spring loaded quadrant which operates the top lever from falling off. There's no need to ask how I know this!! Similarly this operation is reversed for a stock machined to fit a newer action to be retro fitted to an old gun.

Unusual to see a Perazzi stock fitted with a Paeckmeyer pad they usually fit their own unless it was specified by a customer or retro fitted here.

Phil - thanks for the detailed reply. The pad is a Perazzi original according to the logo. My stock looks identical to your right hand side (as you look at the photo) - the opposite side of mine is cut out in the same manner as the right. Both sides look identical.

There are letters, which appear to be punched into the wood. On the bottom left is a "D". On the top left it appears to have "91".

Measurement at top at bottom appears to be 19mm.

Edited by Gordon R

mine is the same as the one in the pic Phil, it is right handed and with the number 1307 :S. Don't really wanna oil it incase I get it wrong and to be honest I would be happy for £250 for it. Apologies but Im unsure of where to take those measurement you suggested from ::S:

Gordon,

Ah, you learn something new everyday. I suspect then that the American market would want their own type of pad, as it's where the Paeckmeyer originated from and Perazzi have copied them, as they're probably past copyright now. Stocks and fore-ends have part or all of the gun's serial number stamped into it when the wood is original to the gun. An after fit custom stock doesn't usually have it. If you're buying a new Perazzi it's worth checking to see if the gun has the original woodwork, if not why not? If a particularly nice bit of wood turns up on a gun it has been known to appear on another order after it has got here!

Phil