Brass

possibly ... there is variation in thickness and therefore volume between batches let alone brands.

Also composition, hardness and consistency can vary.

This can all lead to differences in performance BUT how much in the real world may depend on whether you have a custom hand polished match br, or a well used worker

possibly ... there is variation in thickness and therefore volume between batches let alone brands.

Also composition, hardness and consistency can vary.

This can all lead to differences in performance BUT how much in the real world may depend on whether you have a custom hand polished match br, or a well used worker

i have 40 winchester's empty and a got told to try norma brass b4 reloading them

because the Norma brass is beta to reload

It does seems that differant brands of case will vary in the amount of times you can reload them. You can extend the life if you take care with your reloading process and dont resize the whole case once its been fire formed in your rifles chamber. Cases can vary on inside volume so if your loading the case to its limits then another case with the same powder charge and smaller internal volume will create a compressed charge when the bullets seated which equals to greater pressure. I think this is more of a problem with smaller cases like 223. I have been advised to work up a load if using a differant type of case so when I see some signs of breakdown in my federal 243 cases and move on to my privi's I will rework the load from 10% back.

Of course if you load hot loads then the cases will not last very long anyway.

Seems all make brass for 243 ... and the level of qual control is reflected in the price .

I use Lapua in a 6.5x55 and I can open the box.. run them over a neck mandrel - check the holes are clear then load: they're consistent. (and designed to reload at least 10x)

I had a few P&Mix ... dents, nearly 2mm length variation, swarf in a couple of primer holes .... they cleaned up, trimmed down, resized and were useable, but I'd rather be shooting than pimping.

I believe Norma are at the Lap end of the scale, I have no experience with the Wins ...

i must admit that did cross my mind about using the Wins!

Just try them. Plenty of people get by without buying expensive brass and it doesn't hurt to give it a go. The great thing about reloading is that you only have to make a batch of say three rounds, then send them down the range and see how they group. If they don't, make a few changes and try again. Generally speaking though it's not so much the make of brass that matters for consistancy, rather that you don't come up with a load and then make it in various makers brass. Different makes vary in capacity so what is a max load in one may be over the top or slower in another.

One other tip - load all the cases once whether in batches or all in one go once you've found a good load. Then use them all and then load them all again. That way you can easily keep a note of the number of times they've been fired and just bin the lot when you start having trouble with some of them. You can be sure once one starts to show signs of being tired the rest wont be far behind.

Just try them. Plenty of people get by without buying expensive brass and it doesn't hurt to give it a go. The great thing about reloading is that you only have to make a batch of say three rounds, then send them down the range and see how they group. If they don't, make a few changes and try again. Generally speaking though it's not so much the make of brass that matters for consistancy, rather that you don't come up with a load and then make it in various makers brass. Different makes vary in capacity so what is a max load in one may be over the top or slower in another.

One other tip - load all the cases once whether in batches or all in one go once you've found a good load. Then use them all and then load them all again. That way you can easily keep a note of the number of times they've been fired and just bin the lot when you start having trouble with some of them. You can be sure once one starts to show signs of being tired the rest wont be far behind.

Thanks mate a will do that just to try them out didn't really want to waste them anyways

Thanks for the replys people

Winchester, remington, federal, are OK they might need a little more work to them uniforming primer pockets and flash holes and a light shaving off there necks for more

consistent neck tension and even release. also you might get a few more reloads from lapua or norma.

the fundamental though is compared to lapua they effectively come free with factory ammo so as long as you prep them properly and check them after each firing which you should do anyway they will be fine. However stick to one type at a time for batch consistency.

I've a batch of winchester silvertip cases coming along which are nickel plated almost looking forward to seeing if it makes any difference at all

Edited by al4x